Happy New Year

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well everything seems to be going well this year, so far. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Give it time OH, give it time...
Arnie
KG Regular

All the very best to everyone :D lets hope 2014 will be good to us all :) and as the old year ends and the New Year starts I always think of absent friends :cry: auld lang syne always gets me :shock:

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
alan refail
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Well everything seems to be going well this year, so far. :)

Hmm! Pouring rain all year so far, gales to come, I've got a stinking cold (first in 5 years or more) and it's dark as night still at quarter to ten :(

It can only get better (how's that for optimism?)
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Very strong winds here again and rain to come later.

Just had a very bracing walk along the seafront. Walking at a 45 deg angle is the norm in these parts don't you know :)
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm hoping for slightly better weather when i'm down there THIS summer, PJ. :)

Dear Alan, things will improve, that, i am very sure of.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Happy New Year everyone, I just got over the problem of ridge tiles blown off the roof now the roof of my wood store has been ripped off in the strong winds.

What I've found is that the damage is caused by suction on the lee side, the ridges didn't get blown off they were sucked off and so with the wood-store roof which is a sheet of ply that hasn't had enough screws holding it down so the fault is mine entirely.

The fiasco with my roof was that I asked for help on my emergency help cover, after the third day of no help I had to help myself and I did complain. I have been offered £100 compensation and an apology though the possible consequences of their inaction could have been much more costly.

Today is bitingly cold with well over 30 knots from the SE with no respite from strong winds for the next seven days other than maybe Saturday.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Happy New Year everyone. Looks like we won't be going for a NYD walk this year as the weather is so horrible. At least I'll have time to read the new KG magazine. It looks to have plenty in it and is welcoming Grow It mag readers. Don't think I've seen that one.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Check it out now PP, the wind has gone round more southerly and the temperature has gone up. I'm preparing tonights dinner so she's now out with the dog for the NYD walkies.

I was in bed for 14 hours last night though I'm not sure how much sleep I had because of the noise and worry about the roof, I do tend to go to bed early and read the paper rather than watch TV and I read the news in the morning (Ipad) so that possibly accounts for four hours.

My first NY resolution has been made and I'm not trusting to luck or lack of it by sharing. This year, all our ridge tiles are being glued down with modern PU adhesive rather than the ridiculous sand/cement routine used. A rain shower after installation washes all the cement out so you end up with sand holding the ridges on, even if that doesn't happen it's well known that the ridges "Dry-out" in ten years.

I don't intend to spend next Christmas and new year or any part of the winter worrying about the roof over our heads.

I'm resolved also to grow blackberries and some other soft fruit and even though I've given up with apples that wasn't a public resolve. :D
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic