Deceptive labelling

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin Miles
KG Regular

I am sure that none of this will come as a surprise to members of this forum, but the consequences could be interesting, if the new rules are implemented.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/eu-commission-plans-tighter-rules-on-organic-food-sector-a-943461.html
peter
KG Regular

Standards aren't enough, they have to be policed, 100% beefburger anyone?

Neigh!
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Hmmm! I've always been worried that organic farms pop up in the middle of intensive non organic farms - how do they keep spray off their edge crops? And a little bit concerned about the products with multiple ingredients & being able to really trace the providence of every single one of them.

My allotment is 99% organic but I don't always buy organic for other things! (Also kind of think I've eaten & absorbed some real bad things being the age I am so might be too little, too late!) :D

Westi
Westi
Tony Hague
KG Regular

This will cause havoc. Various bigger producers produce some organic product in addition to their conventional crop. The will not likely go fully organic, so the only other option would be to drop it. Unless - sidestep the regulations by selling off the organically certified land to a wholly owned subsiduary company, if that makes it class as grown on a different farm.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Tony - yes I can see that they will probably get round the problems, especially if the talk about checking is just talk. And to do that properly could create a large number of jobs. But if this at least makes the public, or at least the UK public, aware of the possibility(!) that organic from outside the UK is not necessarily organic, that might be a good thing?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic