Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I suppose with the cold snap only days away, we are now into early Winter.

I would just like to kick off with how much i love and appreciate the different seasons we have in our Country, and how they affect my life through work and play.

Spring. Everthing bursting into life again, all the seed sowing going on and getting the soil ready for all the plants that will be going in. A hectic, but very enjoyable season.

Summer. Early harvests start to turn in, more planting and sowing going on.
Then the huge task of mowing the lawns, but doesn't that just finish a garden off. And then there's the watering.

Autumn. Huge harvests to be gathered and stored, always trying to keep on top of the seedling weeds that seem to appear over night. Then later in the season, the huge job of keeping on top of the fallen leaves.

Winter. Early Winter, a time for clearing all the finished crops and to start the Winter digging. Also to start cutting the many hedges that i do around the village. Late Winter, always a quieter time for me at work, what is probably a very good thing, as it gives me a chance to recharge the batteries a little. But there's always enough to do to keep me out of trouble, before the year has turned full circle.

So i really do love all the seasons, for one reason or another.

If anyone has anything to add about the seasons, whether it be how it effects there lives, or just things they enjoy about them, i'm sure we would all love to know.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi OH :)

Have to say I am in full agreement as I to just love the seasons but they seem to come round far to quick :shock: in a little over three weeks I will be sowing my onions with an eye on our local shows :)
As for you trying to keep out of trouble :roll: sorry that is not going to happen any time soon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take Care & best wishes

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you for your thoughtful words Arnie, :twisted: and i must admit, you are probably right. :)

JohnN
KG Regular

Hi OH
Re seasons - when I was in the RAF helping to deal with the 1953 floods at Great Yarmouth, we had a contingent of Canadian airmen shipped in to help us. One of them said to me "What I like about your country is that you have Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter". I said " Don't you have the four seasons?". He said "Not all in the same day".
robo
KG Regular

I have to say, I do not like winter apart from the cod run we get in the mersey ( sea fishing is another of my hobbies ) I dont like cold wet weather ive worked on building sites for a large part of my working life and had my share now I am retired if it gets to cold I fly south
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Robo,

I also have fished the Mersey :D but I am keeping well away from it for the next couple of days :( if the weather warnings they are giving are to be true :roll: its going to get a bit rough with strong winds and heavy rain with possible flooding :shock: and its not going to do your plot a favours either is it :roll:

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi all
Yes, I do appreciate having seasons and seasonality (I like a choice of seasonings to :wink: ) but dank winter days are little fun. On the other hand when you get dry, sunny days the barren, frosty countryside is very appealing.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

There does seem to be quite a chilly feeling out there this morning!

Geoff
KG Regular

Touch breezy too - my device shows 45 mph with gust of 55. Not braved an inspection tour yet. Best of luck to any of you others that seem to have it a lot worse.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It seems this "Season" thing, must be a man thing, going on the replies. :)

Certainly very windy out there now, just been stacking a load of logs for my Mum, and i don't mind admitting, the sawdust that was blowing in my eyes was quite annoying.

Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Very windy down here today as well. A bit on the chilly side digging this morning. Once you get into it though you soon warm up :)
It seems to me that the seasons fly by so much faster the older you get :D

Went to St. Thomas's yesterday for a follow up appointment, and was told not to come back. That's it, all done :D
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon PJ, I really am pleased for you, and all your family too, what a relief that must be.

robo
KG Regular

Called down the plot this morning to feed the chickens, very windy, the plot next to mine has lost the pollytunnel last seen flying eastwards there is a greenhouse about 7 plots down from mine which had a pain of glass missing thats a heap of cullet and aluminium, couple of sheds with the felt ripped off, ive been lucky just a couple of plant potts blown over , our comunial timber gazebo is stud proud although not finnished which is pleasing as one of the knowitall plot holders is on record as saying it would blow away with the first decent wind
peter
KG Regular

Entertaining night from 2:15 when son rang us from A&E, he'd been shoved by someon while on way home from Student Union bar and broken his leg. Clean fracture. Ended up going round to sort him out and got back at 6am.

Slept till half one and drinking a coffee after getting up a bomb landed, wind, hail, rain, half next doors fence came into our gsrden and our gass barbeque tried flying. :shock:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Peter, you sure are a good Dad, talk about when it rains it pours....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic