I've been hacked!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Thank Goodness for online banking & having separate accounts! Some toe rags from Malaysia & USA have hacked my bank details some how & spent a fair bit on games on the computer & buying things on PayPal!

Did I get alerted about unusual activity - doh I have never paid for games, and there are 15 in a row from different sites on 1 day and rarely use PayPal! What did I get - letters to say that I have made guaranteed payments & they will honour this payments even though they may take me over my limit! 22 mins on hold on the phone to report as well!

I am now without a card for 3 working days & no access to my accounts! Anyone else have experience of this? I feel I should be compensated for this inconvenience and their negligence - I pay for a premium account as well after my husband got his card cloned at the garage a few years ago! They rang & alerted him on a bog standard account! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

My daughter had her paypal account hacked about 2 years ago she closed it down the minute she realised and never reopened it she will no longer buy off ebay as well , I dont know the outcome with paypal for certain but I think she was refunded
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi Westi
I'm really sorry to hear this news.
I had my cards stolen about two months ago and everyting was chaotic for a few days.
Stephen
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, so sorry to read about that, Cook had her hadnbag stolen a few years back, with the credit cards inside, so we know what a horrible feeling it is.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

New card arrived, money all back into account - well impressed! Still a bit miffed I had to alert them though!

Westi
Westi
glallotments
KG Regular

We have had the opposite with our credit card company. Twice they have stopped our cards as they have noticed suspected fraudulent activity. Each time they have rung us to tell us that we can't use cards until they are reissued but won't say what activities they have noted.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

glallotments wrote:We have had the opposite with our credit card company. Twice they have stopped our cards as they have noticed suspected fraudulent activity. Each time they have rung us to tell us that we can't use cards until they are reissued but won't say what activities they have noted.

That's your story and you stick to it ! :lol:
glallotments
KG Regular

WestHamRon wrote:That's your story and you stick to it ! :lol:

Fraudulent activity by someone else :wink:
Westi
KG Regular

More to the saga - today I get a letter from Adobe saying that they are informing me about an 'incident involving information about you'. It went on to say a third party took customer names, payment card expiration dates, encrypted payment card numbers and used their systems to decrypt some of the card numbers!

I didn't buy anything but did update my flash player so maybe they accessed then. Will send it all off to Barclays Fraud with the Pay Pal details I already have as they might be able to trace someone now have three reference points.

Doesn't sound like small fry getting through Adobe security though.

Westi
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Westi. Seem to recall reading some time ago not to update flash player. But to un-install and download afresh. Can't remember why.
John
KG Regular

Hello Westi
The letter from Adobe is almost certainly a SCAM.
Any similar emails about accounts being hacked/compromised or wanting you to update your details also very likely to be scams. I've lost count of the number of tax refunds I've been offered by HMRC and all my poor uncles trapped abroad who need help with a bank transaction.
NEVER click on any links in these emails because they will unleash all sorts of horrors on your system.
Delete Delete Delete every time.
The same goes for phone calls from people you've never heard of.

I had my bank card done a couple of years ago. This was the fault of the company that I had ordered from online.
The bank lady was more forthcoming when I reported it. It seems once the bad boys (girls?) have your details they will make a few low value inconspicuous payments eg for ringtones or charity donations. If these go through then they are in business. It is these transactions that alert the bank apparently.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Beryl
KG Regular

I had a similar experience to John only recently only for me I was at the checkout in Lidl's and embarrassingly had my card refused. Not being far from my bank off I went to be told it was a bogus phone company trying to take money for a mobile account I don't have. They were very quick to stop all transactions and replaced my card within 24 hours.

Seems however careful we are it is still going to happen.
Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic