World Cup 2006

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

As this subject is in danger of hijacking another thread in a sensible area, I'm starting a proper one.

Yesterday (45 days BWC) I was coerced into adorning my beloved Mazda with two flags bearing the Cross of St George, as "we don't want to be sheep", we have to be "at the forefront". I already have 3 England bumper stickers, but these are quite useful for covering up the odd rust spot. There is also a huge magnetic England flag on the fridge and the stunningly enormous England flag will be hanging from the front of the house once he's found the string (carefully hidden at the lottie). I'm thinking of taking up residence in my Lulu for a couple of months. To be fair, when England are actually playing, I will watch as I'm a patriotic sort and the sport doesn't matter if it's a national team. It's all the rest of it I can't cope with; the endless commentary and analysis, the other matches and all for a MONTH! Then, when it's all over, Tim will be suffering post World Cup blues for at least another week or two and possibly until the draw for the European Cup. Does anyone have a spare room? :shock:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
pigletwillie
KG Regular

22 fairies kicking a bag of wind around for a month, sounds like hell.

Now 30 men passing an oval ball around, thats a proper sport and its world cup, of which England are holders is in 2007.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Tigger
KG Regular

Yes - we're a football free zone, as we are a cricket or rugby free zone. The only sports interests here are skiing, sailing, tennis or golf.

If you want a free room or an area for camping - let me know.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Oh poor Chanters,
I'm afraid I'm another oval ball fan. Went to the Local 7's one Easter Saturday. One team were a man short and asked me to play. Me that can hardly walk half the time!!! Imagine me at my age trying to play again.
My other half is back home now so football is a no no from now on.
Strictly Verboten!! Bugger it I'll watch the Football!!
JB.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,proper men playing rugby,now i like that :wink:
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Grock, I play Rugger for Aylestone St James at No 3. We can make room in the scrum for you. :twisted:
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

You can make room for me anywere chuck,just letting you know now though,it will have to be big :wink:
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Carole B.
KG Regular

Hmm......sport.....what's that then?
lizzie
KG Regular

I'm with Piglet and Grock on the rugby. Real men playing a tough game and not poncing about with pony tails in and whinging to the ref.

I knew a few girls who played for a ladies rugby team who wanted to play the men. The prize would be mixed bathies and a piss up at the end. :twisted: The lads didn't want to know cos they said it was too dangerous getting into a scrum with a loads of birds. :shock:

I like athletics, track and field, tennis, golf, show jumping, cross country jumping. The rest of it you can keep. I can't have a football free zone in this house so I will have the personal cd player on blocking out anything to do with football.

Chantal, you're welcome anytime.
Lots of love

Lizzie
jopsy
KG Regular

i'm really lucky dh isn't interested in footy-he's a kayaker and hill runner!(or was 'til he got fat!) :lol:
i only watch footy for legs-none have been as good as gary linekars recently tho! :?
we don't have a spare room; but the potting sheds quite comfy! :D
Chantal
KG Regular

A photo of Piglet in a scrum might be a good idea :twisted: I like Rugby (well I do live here), a real mans game. :twisted:

Tim's getting over excited about the football already. It wouldn't be so bad if I was allowed to make any noise or talk when the matches are on, you know the sort of thing "what does offside mean?", "which is our team?" but the only noise allowed is him shouting at the TV. :(

44 days and counting... :cry:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Franksmum
KG Regular

definitely in favour of rugby! I love going to watch matches although haven't been for a while (sniff). The only game I've been to see where everybody is civillised and having fun, drink is allowed and no trouble. OOoh and those legs........ Proper men!

Sport - no thanks, give me Clog Dancing any time!
Zena
KG Regular

I'm dreading it, too. OH & son are both sport obsessed - doesn't matter what it is, they'll watch it. The bit I don't understand,is why do they have to watch so many times?? If it went in the net, then why do they have to show it 10 times from different angles?? It goes in every time!! and the "post match analysis"?? what is that all about??they say women can talk about nothing for hours at a time - try listening to men talk about sport!!
I think I'll go & have a lie down in a quiet room for a while...where's matron? :?
Pol
KG Regular

Oops, just realised I have to log in. That was my comment about the Clog Dancing. I'm new and not got the hang of all this yet! :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic