Is it my imagination or has the new style forum...

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Jim

Jenny wrote: So, you can say, well, don't read them then, but you don't realise that's what's going on until you have read them.
Mmmm. Bit like what I'm doing right now really!!!

So am I! And that's part of my point, really. If you're not interested in reading other people's thoughts on a topic, then sure, it's going to be a pain reading all through the detailed replies. It's absolutely true that you can't know what's been written, repeated, argued with or diverged from until you've read everything, but what possible measure could be put in place which would somehow let you know what's in each message before you start reading? I suppose you could train as a clairvoyant, in which case you needn't even log on to find out what other people think about a topic. :twisted:
The reality is that this is a discussion forum open to the whole wide world. Go with the flow, breathe easy, repeat after me: ommmmmmmmmmm.....
Confused

Johnboy, thank you for your offer. I eventually found your "fork twiddling" article and it has already been copied off safely.
My query was really much more general, I might be looking for info about Leeks, Artichokes, Wood Chips, any of the hundreds of subjects that we all discussed in depth.
It took me ages to find your posting, scrolling down and reading each heading, then paging to the next 30 posts until I was going dizzy and half blind and was developing RSI!
I appreciate that the new management may not be too interested in the archived forum and would probably prefer us to post all of the old stuff here again. It would almost certainly make the new forum look busier and more interesting than it is.
If the search facility is not going to happen, I will do what Allan is doing but it seems such a complete waste of time and disk space on our PC's when the data is already here. Even a downloadable file would be a help though, at least then we could do our own thing with it.
Sorry to whoever it was who started this thread. I didn't mean to hijack it and have raised my own issue on the website sector. Hoping for a reply!
Thank you once again Johnboy
Mr Potato Head

At the moment, we're not able to put our own search facility...

However, thanks to the wonders of Google you can use it to search the old forum. Just enter the phrase you wish to search for, then SITE:www.kitchengarden.co.uk/oldforum/

i.e. if you want to check out carrot postings...

[url=http://www.google.co.uk/search?as_q=carrots&as_sitesearch=www.kitchengarden.co.uk%2Foldforum%2F]'carrots site:www.kitchengarden.co.uk/oldforum/'
[/url]
Then it should search it! :D
Confused

I've just checked a few "phrases" out and some work while others don't. For example, "shallot" gets no response and I know there were loads of postings about that. Carrot, potato etc only show very recent postings.
It looks to me as though Google is only picking up things from the last page of the old forum. I.e. the page that is currently "live" when you go into the archive. Any idea why this should be? And can it be sorted?
Cheers
Mr Potato Head

Looks like I picked a phrase that worked when I tested it... :oops:

Well, unfortunately, there's very little I can do to encourage Google to do anything, however, they have obviously started to index the site. It could take a while for it to complete, but it's made a start!

Contrary to popular belief, I am still working on making the old forum (more) accessible, but we were only given a limited amount of the information from the old website, so it's taking a little time. :?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic