Harvest bits and bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Motherwoman
KG Regular

Thought we should move the year on a bit. Can't believe I'm starting to clear bits of ground already, first row of carrots completely pulled now, peas out, first row of beetroot nearly out. I'll dig the rest of my Charlotte spuds later this morning which just leaves Pink Fir Apple. Running over ground with a hoe to keep it clean before digging later.

Beans are now in full spate, including dwarf frenchies, courgettes by the bucketful and sweetcorn looking good too.

Where has the year gone?

MW
peter
KG Regular

Dug the first row of Charlotte last night, then as it was next to the already cleared out row of Foremost I dug the inter-row gap and the ends, so that's my first 6'x30' strip of Autumn digging done. :D

Fields around me are changing on a daily basis, from standing crops to cultivated soil.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
The Mouse
KG Regular

After last year's disastrous crops, both on my allotment and in the garden, I am pleased to say that this year, so far, has been a great success. :D

My freezer is now full of soft fruits, and there are 4 gallons of rhubarb wine and the same of gooseberry brewing away. I am picking French beans, beetroot, courgettes, salads, tomatoes (though not in great numbers yet, but I'm still hopeful), potatoes, cabbages and even leeks, to name but a few.

The only thing that is not looking promising this year are my Borlotti beans - the plants have grown well, but despite an earlyish sowing, there are barely any pods yet. As I grow these for the mature beans (to freeze for use in stews over winter), it's not looking good. However, if that's the only thing that lets me down this year, I'm not going to complain. :)
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Monika
KG Regular

Same here, Mouse. It promises to be a very good harvest for us. The peas and broad beans were a bit it and miss - they came and went very quickly because of the hot weather, but everything else seems to be growing like billy-ho. Our swedes (or yellow turnips, if that's what you call them) have grown enormously and we are giving them wholesale to the local pub. The large chest freezer is filling up with produce. I have even cubed a lot of the courgettes and frozen them because I usually use them in soups and stews so they'll do nicely for those in winter.

No doubt, the sprouts, flower sprouts, kales, cabbages etc will have to be searched very closely for caterpillars, though.
haggis
KG Regular

Same here in the far North. It has been the best growing year we have had for ages. I have already cleared the broad beans, onions and early potatoes and resown with spinach and green manure. The freezer is jam packed with berries, peas and runner beans.
Was wondering what to do with all the courgettes but I may try freezing them in cubes -thanks Monika.
retropants
KG Regular

it is looking good so far. our second early spuds have been magnificent (foremost and arran pilot) and the maincrops are still growing. runner and bush beans are very prolific. beetroot are looking good, one batch pickled for my father already. cucumbers are so many I am giving them away! the tomatoes are a bit slow, but looking very promising and the hungarian hot wax peppers have gone mad. the grapevine was looking really good, the first large number of bunchess for sometime (it is over 20 years old, but I only started to prune it properly 3 years ago) The are 30 or so very large bunches, but in the last few days, some have got signs of mould. I have removed those, but as the plant always gets mould, I shan't count my chickens. I shall (reluctantly) spray it next year!
Diane
KG Regular

Toms are slow...but the cucamelons growing in the greenhouse have turned into a jungle, up and down and along, out the window and door and so many little cucamelons. Taste great too.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Monika
KG Regular

I notice that "slow tomatoes" have been mentioned by a number of people (in other threads, too). Our crop is huge but they just refuse to ripen in spite of the persistent warm and sunny weather! I have tried the banana skin treatment and also reduced the airflow so that it stays warmer over night, so far to no avail. Odd, that.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Regarding slow ripening toms, who's a leaf remover? Do you think it helps?

MW
retropants
KG Regular

I am, but I haven't done it yet :)
Westi
KG Regular

Me too - mine are a bit baldy at the bottom at the moment but hasn't hastened ripening - well maybe they r a bit more yellow but nothing obvious!

Westi
Westi
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I've taken some off at the base about 10 days ago but it hasn't made any difference yet, don't think I've ever been this late with toms.

MW
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Trust me to be the odd one out, mine have been ripening well for about a month now. And i haven't defoliated the lower part any of the plant!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
snooky
KG Regular

Local Tesco 24-hour has Westlands tomato feed on sale at £2-50 for 2 Litres.Bought mine yesterday.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Bren
KG Regular

I remove leaves top and bottom and for the last 10 days I picked about 1/2 doz each time I go to the plot 3/4 times a week plus the odd one I pop into my mouth.
Bren
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic