More photos of allotment 1st year.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Piglet6 wrote:Retropants, did you mean me?
:D Very kind of you to consider me so neat-and-tidy, i'm always impressed to see a tidy plot because I'm fully aware of the effort involved.

Piglet6 wrote:Richard, yes it's very stoney. I pick out the biggest and make a little pile

And there is me feeling sorry for myself thinking everyone-else is working with lovely soft soil that doesn't go claggy. The soil in my beds is improving, I found that by adding sand and various soil improvers the stones are easier to separate and i'm sure many actually drop lower. Does that make any sense ?

I don't know if you you understand what I mean but I can actually run my hands through the soil without using tools in half of my raised beds. I do know it's all on a smaller scale to what you're working with, I think I may have given up if I hadn't gone for the three raised beds where I can concentrate my efforts on the soil and the drainage is very good.

At this time of year particularly, it only takes a week of neglect to add what seems like a logarithmic increase in weeds and untidy borders. The grass around my beds grows very quickly because I never pick-up, right now it's six inches tall after only a week. The grass around the house that is always picked up needs help with chicken pellets and grows much more slowly which amounts to a lesson about growing things for me. How do you manage to economically feed your soil annually on such a large plot ?
Last edited by Ricard with an H on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Well done Piglet, I can't believe the difference. I bet the other plot owners are glad you came along :)

VPM
x
retropants
KG Regular

oops sorry piglet, yes I did, apologies to Richard too! I was in a rush (as usual!)
Piglet6
KG Regular

Oops, just realised the 1st of the month was yesterday. That's what happens when you're not working, I guess. All the days blend into one.

Right, I must take my "1st of each month" photos today without fail.

My plot is just the Half-Plot. If you spot a string in any photos that is our 'border'. Fortunately I share with a very pleasent couple.

I had a treat yesterday - I tasted the first of my peas! I truly was a delight.

I'm now having trouble reaching the compost bin because the pumpkin is so huge and rambling that I am having to step carefully between all its branches.

I need to dig up, space, replant my kale this weekend too. Oh, and get a shed-load of things done in the house, AND build the greehouse, oh, AND start my new job on Monday, AND pack for hoilday! If I manage to get everything done in time I will be AMAZED!!!
peter
KG Regular

How big are the kale and how long have they heen there?

Very much linked to how well estsblished they have become, or how big and leafy they are I'd be increasingly cautious about tranplanting them. :?

Could you just move the alternate ones, that would be safer if they're anything above "planting out" size.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

Fantastic plot Piglet. I'd reemphasise the caution about digging up and planting kale that's starting to mature, especially in hot weather. I,ve done this myself and lost them all.
Wicky
KG Regular

Piglet6 wrote:
Richard, yes it's very stoney. I pick out the biggest and make a little pile, then forget to move them, so my Plot has several little piles of stones in and around :lol:

my allotment friend tells me this is a good thing for invertebrates to overwinter & hide in - that's my excuse for my piles of stones everywhere!
Piglet6
KG Regular

Oh yikes! I'll have to watch out with the kale then. They're grown a bit since this photo too!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic