It's going to be the hottest day of the year

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Not down at lottie but everyone coming into our office today had to mention how hot it is! Taking my greenhouse thermometer in tomorrow! No window & 2 of those periscope light things - not the best idea some architect had - but it was probably winter!!

We now have 6 fans in a (roughly) 15ft X 10 ft steel room with 5 folk & 7 computers - might as well be working in a shipping container! Just where will I get heat stroke???? (Hopefully work then can go down to lottie!)

Westi
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

It's pretty damned hot here today, a mile from the western sea! 25C forecast, 34C in the shade this afternoon. Beginning to look like a repeat of 1976.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Piglet6
KG Regular

Went to the plot this morning to pick lettuce & spinach to go with lunch.

Went back this afternoon to collect twigs for the base layer of my new compost. Got this done, but it was too hot for me to do anything else.

This weather is beautiful but I've had enough now! I'm really struggling in this heat.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Now when I was a young National Serviceman up in the Sinai !! :wink: :wink:
Redfox
KG Regular

I'm loving the hot weather, it makes such a wonderful change from the cold and wet of the last couple of years. Not doing much on the lottie though as it is in the middle of the site with no shade so it gets really too sunny for my skin even with factor 30 sunscrean on I still burn.Just going down there on an evening and doing bits and bobs and watering :)
Monika
KG Regular

I am afraid I flag when it gets as hot as this: 31C in the shade this afternoon. And, like Redfox, our allotment has no trees or shade whatsoever (it is surrounded by pasture land), so we are waiting until about 8 o'clock tonight to start the watering. Even then, I shall only water the absolutely necessary: peas, beans of all sorts and cauliflowers. Anything will have to wait for rain.

Rainfall so far this July: 5mm, after a dry June.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Looks like we're about to get a good few inches of rain, probably in form of thunderstorms inland around Cardiff and over towards Oxford. Possibly late Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Yorkshire is going to get some but not as much as us.

I just need to get some paint on my dried-out bare wood and I could do with sorting the log pile out.

So much to do.
Attachments
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG (165.84 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Send some south Richard! :D

Westi
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Humidity is up for sure, what last weekend was hot and tolerable, this weekend is hot, sweaty and uncomfortable.
On a positive note there is more to look at in the sky, clouds as well as swifts, when cooling off in the shade. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Yorkshire and the Humber are definitely in need of a large amount of rain :)

We'll be under another drought/hosepipe ban if we're not careful :lol: :shock: :roll:

VPM
x
Westi
KG Regular

I heard mutterings on the weather report of 35 degrees coming soon!

I beat everyone to the hose today & gave everything a good soaking (2 hours with no one around), plus topped up with the cans & some beds were dry again when I left. It felt like I gave it gallons but the odd weed I pulled showed it only hit about 5 inches & bone dry below that despite mulching etc! It's evaporating away too fast even at 6am with a bit of cloud and a cool breeze!

Westi
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Send some south Richard! :D
Westi

It's all very bloke-y making fires and I do enjoy cutting and stacking but it is hard work for an ageing youngster, when my winter fuel stores are full I have four cubic metres and I earned that drifting of to sleep feeling in front of a log fire.

It's far to hot for me to work with a chainsaw, the protective pants are full of a material that slows down the damage a broken chain or other accident will do to legs so they are hot-hot-hot, plus you have to wear a visor-helmet with ear-protectors and cover yourself as much as possible to protect from the dust and chippings.

It's hot work, that wood is bone dry and needs cutting and storing before it rains but in this weather it's not getting done.

Since that photo was taken I had another load delivered, some has been cut and stored but there are still three and half stacks.

I'm just finding jobs that need doing that are in the shade, it's all a bit inconvenient and not very efficient but work is progressing.

Where I live we have been getting afternoon breezes which presumably are sea-breazes though they came from the direction of the current wind direction, either north, east or north-east. Murphys-law means that all the important and pressing jobs that need attention are in full sun and on the lea-side of something. (Lea-side means you are on the south-side of an object, the wind is blowing from the north)

Just in case you wanted to know.

Whilst i'm still uncomfortable and complaining i'm possibly more fortunate than most because there is always a cool place to go for me and I can jump into a cool sea on the doggy-walk within 15 minutes of leaving home.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Richard, i like that phrase, "ageing youngster", i'll have to remember that one. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

:D

It's so nice to make other people smile.

In my case it refers to my inability to accept the physical ageing process rather than the embarrassing traits some oldies go to in an effort to be youthful, I seem to be happy accepting memory-loss and the slowing of other mental faculties but am resolute to not accept nor be happy that I can't get a decent days work out of me.

Covering my hair-less head is to do with guarding my slapper from either the sun or from an ice-cream-head. Nothing to do with vanity.

This is Molly cooling off.
Attachments
DSCF0023.JPG
DSCF0023.JPG (134.99 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Beautiful pic of Molly! My 2 are off around the woods with 'Him' for a swim in the stream! I feigned heat stroke - another benefit of the hot weather!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic