Why are my aubergines not happy?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Piglet6
KG Regular

They are looking perky enough, but the new leaves since I planted them out are kind of wrinkly and not very healthy-looking.

Any ideas please?

Am I underwatering, overwatering. Do they need a feed of something (they've not set any fruit yet).

Any thoughts as to what they need?

TIA
Geoff
KG Regular

You say "planted out", does that mean outside?
Never heard of anybody growing them outside but then I am up North.
Piglet6
KG Regular

Yes, they're outside (I currently don't have any other option). My father-in-law grew them in his greenhouse and gave them to me (I didn't know he was growing them, or I would have said they prefer to live in a greenhouse).

I've checked books, and they can be grown outside, but won't provide as much produce.
Westi
KG Regular

I grow mine outside but obviously further south than you. I have found what they don't like is wind (even a mild breeze). I have some poly carbon sheets from some old conservatory given to me & have made a shelter - using canes each side of the sheets to hold them in place. It's about 6ft X 4ft & I grow my toms, cucumbers & aubergines in this.

A combination of the warmth from the sheets & no wind damage seems to work. I have 1 aubergine poking out from this a bit & it is about 2/3rd the size smaller, leaves are pale & a bit brittle. The others protected are healthy & happy and have flowers & weeny fruit on them. Perhaps you can improvise a bit of shelter & see if it helps - mine might just be a fluke!

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Piglet6, it might be worth having a very close look at the growing tips, especially under the leaves, and check there are no aphids.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Piglet6
KG Regular

Thanks guys. I'll have a good old root around for aphids today. Westi, the site IS fairly breezy. Not sure if there is much I can do about this. I'll give it some creative thought :lol:
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Piglet6 wrote:They are looking perky enough, but the new leaves since I planted them out are kind of wrinkly and not very healthy-looking.

Can you be more specific about "kind of wrinkly". If the leaves are puckered along their length, that's a response to being too cold. When were they planted outside? The weather's only been warm enough for them this last week. Low night temperatures are a consideration.

I've grown aubergines outside before, in Sussex. They take on a very different character when outside, very dark colouration and they may develop thorns. I got a good crop, nice dense fruits. It was a particularly long and hot summer that year. This summer seems to be shaping up but it's not going to be a long one — there's not much of it left.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Piglet6
KG Regular

Hmmmmm..... They are a darker shade of green than the earlier leaves. The earlier leaves are lovely and flat, but the new leaves are kind of puckered up around the edges. Almost as if they're not getting enough water - but they are!

They were started off in a greenhouse, then given to me. As I don't have a greenhouse they had to go on the Plot. I transplanted them on 26th June.
tracie
KG Regular

I have cheered mine up with a mix of comfrey and nettle liqud, they seem to love this.

My problem is that I have a lot of flowers nut the do not seem to be setting, I have even planted a red dhalia next to them to attract the bees, still nothing UGH
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
Geoff
KG Regular

I go round mine with a soft brush every day.
Primrose
KG Regular

I've grown aubergines outside but always in large pots, rich compost and against a sunny house wall which retains some heat overnight. Could you try digging one of two of them up very carefully and repot them and keep them in a sheltered spot in your garden? You could then compare growing conditions and see if that is the answer. They certainly don't thrive outdoors in colder weather and it has to be a good hot summer to get a decent crop. But having said that it hot summers mine have done well outdoors Ina sheltered sunny spot. I do mix some chicken manure pellets in with their compost before final potting on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic