Good old days

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Beryl
KG Regular

What ever happened to the good old days when all we had to worry about was slugs snails and caterpillars?

I went to the lottie early this morning all set to pick my pea crop which I knew was ready only to find the pesky squirrels had breakfasted on the lot. They were, as I thought securely netted with bricks and pegs but the canny devils had lifted the pegs and found a way in.

Think I need to take a degree in 'how to outwit the wildlife'.
Must try harder next year.

Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Beryl, i have to agree, every year something new seems to be attacking our crops. I don't think i have ever used as much netting and covers as this year, it's turning into a real battle.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

I agree with OH. Think maybe I need a course in DIY instead.
Takes all the pleasure out of the actual gardening. But we still come back for more don't we.

Beryl.
Westi
KG Regular

I have netting & environmesh, streamers, CD's waving in the wind etc & some critter always overcomes the obstacle. I often wonder whether these TV shows with these superb vege beds has someone running around before filming to rip off all the protection just before filming as none of it would last a an hour in my lottie exposed like that!

Westi
Westi
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I blame Darwin for putting ideas of evolving into their heads :wink:
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Motherwoman wrote:I blame Darwin for putting ideas of evolving into their heads :wink:

I blame Mr Brocklehurst who introduced the grey squirrel in 1876, back in the Good Old Days of Victorian dominion,
Allotment, but little achieved.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

I even found tiny caterpillars on the chilli plants at school today and they are in the polytunnel! Not a sign of one or even an egg on the lettuce and kale seedlings!

Thankfully a parent has some window screening which we can attach by velcro to the door frame, so we can open the door on hot days and not let the butterflies in!

VPM
x

PS Can anyone recommend an effective organic bug killer?
Geoff
KG Regular

Putting butterfly netting over all the Brassicas makes it harder to remove the caterpillars! Very scratchy on sunburnt arms. About the only productive thing I did today.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

vegpatchmum wrote:Can anyone recommend an effective organic bug killer?

What bugs do you want to kill? Cabbage white caterpillars can be killed with a bacteria, Bacillus thuringiensis. Smaller pests such as aphids or red spider mite can be parasitised or preyed upon. "Smaller fleas have lesser fleas upon their backs to bite 'em." But not every bug is a pest. Know your enemy.
Allotment, but little achieved.
John
KG Regular

Hello Beryl
In the good old days we would have shot, trapped or poisoned anything that wanted to share our food crops. All we can do now is to try and discourage them!

John

PS I am not advocating a return to the old days.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Motherwoman
KG Regular

They did have a large arsenal back then, DDT, malathion, nicotine based sprays and smokes... it's a wonder any of us made it through. Victorian days? No, I'm talking the 60's and 70's here!

We have come a long way from that thank goodness.

MW
peter
KG Regular

Yes, but with the larger stuff, pigeons and rabbits, they eere seen as a food resource rather than a Disney character. So tue ones that didn't get eaten got wary. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes I think the birds and squirrels are getting cannier every year. Lasy year an acquaintance of ours lost their entire apple crop to squirrels one weekend while they were away. I have just picked our first pea crop before our now half tame pheasant tries to steal them but on checking quite a few of them have maggots inside. Where do all these little blighters come from??.
richard p
KG Regular

im sure the pigeons lined up on the garage roof eying up the tayberries beneath have more than a passing resemblance to vultures

if we ate the pigeons that were stupid enough to sit still long enough to catch , the pigeon population would get cleverer as only the wary ones would breed..so on the whole wed be doing them a favour.....
must run that idea past the teenage daughter and record the reaction.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

FelixLeiter wrote:
vegpatchmum wrote:Can anyone recommend an effective organic bug killer?

What bugs do you want to kill? Cabbage white caterpillars can be killed with a bacteria, Bacillus thuringiensis. Smaller pests such as aphids or red spider mite can be parasitised or preyed upon. "Smaller fleas have lesser fleas upon their backs to bite 'em." But not every bug is a pest. Know your enemy.

'Twas caterpillars in the polytunnel - fingers crossed I seem to be on top of it now with judicious use of salt water spray and squishing :)

VPM
x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic