Allotments in Buckingham?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

Hello All

We are planning a move to Buckingham. (I'll need to change my username!) The problem is that we are moving to a new-build house with a typically small garden. I wondered about whether there are any allotments in Buckingham. I've done a search on the internet and can find no reference to any, but looking at a satellite view of the town there is what certainly looks like an allotment site. I can always pop round once we've moved house but just wondered whether anyone on here had any idea. Bit of a longshot but......

Regards

Ian
Primrose
KG Regular

Perhaps one of the best ways of finding out is to contact your new Council (unsure whether allotments are covered at District or County Council level) and ask them for a list of all their rental sites and a contact number. There may, of course, be some which are on privately owned land under private agreements which won't necessarily be listed but your new local library may also be able to find out this information for you.
Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

Thank you for the idea Primrose. I've just emailed Buckingham town council. I have seen a reference to "The Bourton Road Allotment Holders Society" in Buckingham but can't find any contact information. Only a couple of months to the move so not really a problem if I have to wait until then.

Regards

Ian
peter
KG Regular

The statutory duty is normally with Town and Parish councils.
Unless you're under a "unitary council" e.g. a London borough.

Many councils have developed sloping shoulders and off loaded all the awkward day to day management to allotment associations.

Start with the county website & work down searching on the site for allotments, they're usually keen to point you at another organisation if its not something they look after themselves :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Arnie
KG Regular

I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Ian,
I suspect that Buckingham may fall into the Milton Keynes catchment.
My daughter lives in Stony Stratford not far from where you will be and her allotment is from Milton Keynes something or other.
JB.
Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

Thanks for the replies. I received a very prompt email back from the Buckingham town council giving me the name and address of the contact for the allotment association. I'll contact them to see where I go from here.

Regards

Ian
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic