Weather!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Don't want to be pessimistic but snow is forecast for Monday down here in tropical Dorset - I thought last year was challenging but looks like it is continuing.... :evil:

Just when the soil was warming as well & I was day dreaming about things to come! God Bless Mother Nature - putting us back in our box!

Westi
Westi
Clive.
KG Regular

19mm rain today by tea time...

....and now Snowing...0.9C.......

Clive.
Monika
KG Regular

The cold is set to continue until at least the end of March, the Met Office says, so be prepared! I think when the wind turns to the west and southwest, we'll notice the difference.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, bitterly cold here too. I was going to do some fence protective coating this afternoon but a nice lunch and a warm room overtook me so I shall save it for a more congenial day. I also have some red onion sets to plant but I suspect they will be all the better for waiting until the soil has warmed up a little. We are all going to be frantically busy when the sun eventually decides to come out a little more permanently.
alan refail
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:We are all going to be frantically busy when the sun eventually decides to come out a little more permanently.

Ooh! You little optimist!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Tiny white wisps floating down from the sky. No sign of grass growing though we do have some daffs out. Meanwhile Mr. Mole is rotovating the veg plot for me. Most of the Runner Bean patch is done and he's starting on the adjacent plot. Mind you, so long since I've done any serious digging I can't quite remember what I planted where last year. 12 of the last 14 months here below average and March looks like yet another.

Our rescued hedgehog emerged from hibernation last Tuesday. If he, we know it was a he, has any sense he will go back. And the frogs are quiet again after a brief resumption of activity.
richard p
KG Regular

here in somerset its been raining off and on all day and its a tad chilly with occasional snow flakes falling,
had the lawn mower out this week , one of me little old ladies wanted her grass tidied up whilst it was dry.
actually did another one a couple of weeks ago cos she has a hairy short legged dog (looks like a mop head) that gets very wet wet in long damp grass.
Monika
KG Regular

- 2C already at 5pm, so it's likely to be a very cold night. The chitting potatoes in the cold greenhouse are standing on two large bags of potting compost (which, hopefully, heated up a bit during the day) and are wrapped in double bubble plastic.
Westi
KG Regular

Mixed messages depending on what weather report I watch. I don't want it to snow as back to work tomorrow & as they don't get much practice gritting down here it can be pretty hair raising getting in! (And if it continues through the day work expects you to stay rather then risking not being able to get in the next day - can't do that - have my seedlings to consider!) :)

Westi
Westi
Clive.
KG Regular

-0.5C currently with a light covering of snow....

Clive.
peter
KG Regular

Wet & greasy here from rain on Thursday & Friday, Saturday a rugby club day, setup outside bar - lunch - match & run bar - we won.

Today snow, best described as drizzle, no point trying to garden so walked the dogs 15.8 miles, got totally mudded and then washed two dogs, cut own hair, had a robustly hot bath and finished with a roast beef dinner prepared by son.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Been doing a few little jobs out there this morning, and the wind is bitterly cold, so wrap up warm.....

Oh, Spring will be with us by the weekend. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

It's snowing and blowing down here on the southern tip of the Isle of Wight. It's absolutely bitter. Dogs got a much shorter walk than normal! Hens have refused to come down from their perch in the barn, don't blame them really.

Motherwoman
Redfox
KG Regular

it was -4 this morning when I took my daughter to work at 7. had snow flurries and sunshine since then but still bitterly cold
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Woke up to an inch of snow on Sunday morning and some more last night. It was -7 in the top greenhouse this morning and the hens' water was frozen solid inside their hut and the pop hole was frozen shut.

I noticed the frogs emerging from hibernation at the beginning of March when we had a few sunny days, but no frog spawn, so good job they have waited as the pond is solid ice again today.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic