Long time no see

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

Lovely party no snow, so no walking to party. Now hope that tomorrow brings no snow as we are taking MIL out for lunch in the Lakes, booked a table at our favourite cafe/Restaurant called Hideaways. It is on the road from Kirkby Lonsdale up to the Lake District just before the M6 motor way roundabout. It is on the left before you get to the motorway.

Brilliant food and customer service. If you are going up that way to the Lakes please do call as it is really worth it. They do a main course lunch blackboard and a regular menu. I almost always have the prawn, avocado and lemon sandwich on brown bread, delicious, with a small side salad with lovely dressing. Sorry no relation just like the place and want to keep it in business.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Sounds lovely. All for keeping the small guys going otherwise choice goes out the window. If you ever come to the Isle of Wight try the eccentric Red Lion at Freshwater or the Garlic Farm cafe in Newchurch, both do excellent food. And likewise I'm no relation, just a happy eater! The garlic farm are also the people who sell garlic cloves for planting. (Other suppliers are available!!) Have I covered all bases there?
Motherwoman
Westi
KG Regular

Garlic Farm were at the New Forest show & don't only sell the cloves but give out good advice. I never knew to feed my plants in the spring and just left them get on with it - the difference is the size & keeping time apparently. Will let you know!

Westi
Westi
Catherine
KG Regular

See not been checking.

I have been working on our plot all afternoon and am now completely jiggered, I have had a bath with lavender, eaten our evening meal, lit the fire and just had a glass of white wine and soda and will be in bed soon me thinks. :oops:

I have planted about thirty lettuce seedlings in the PT which were getting too overgrown. I have also covered them with some large plastic cloches we have so hopefully they will be okay in the frost promised tonight. AGAIN. This is the first year I have sown lettuce in plugs but have decided it is not worth it.

Wont be doing this next year.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Catherine wrote:This is the first year I have sown lettuce in plugs but have decided it is not worth it.

Not worth it for what reasons? Do you normally sow in seed trays as opposed to plugs, then plant out? Or do you sow direct? This season is already proving to be exceptional, which makes any sort of trial unrealistic.

With plug plants, especially lettuce, the advantage is having plants coming along while other crops are still occupying the ground. Root disturbance is negligible. It also means they can be raised under heat, then put out when the soil has warmed. I'm not sure it will be warm enough yet, not even in a tunnel. Most lettuce are hardy, but there's a difference between enduring and thriving.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic