An optimistic, (Very Early Spring), Bits and bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Oh dear :shock: Do I need to prune the 3 very small (5 foot tall) fruit trees I inherited with the school garden? Never had trees to look after before these three. We have an apple, a pear and a plum. No idea whatsoever on variety :oops: :roll:

VPM
x
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

I have roots!!!!

On my parsnips which I 'sowed' onto damp kitchen towel about 10 days ago. First time I've tried this method :D

So exciting!!

Only about 6 out of 59 so far but at least they're doing something :D

VPM
x
Shallot Man
KG Regular

vegpatchmum. How and when are you planting them.
Compo
KG Regular

Me Compo - Long time no post

Took some clippings and spare soil to my plot today, I have never seen the whole site look so bad in February, folk are usually 'sniffing spring' by now. The ground is sodden, it was very cold here today in zummerzet but no snow, does not seem right, everyone else has it!!

I will have to sort out my greenhouse seen as it will be time to sow some early parsnips and carrots, I have not even taken down last years tomato plants that is how bad I have been about it all, will get stuck in soon

Dave
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:vegpatchmum. How and when are you planting them.

Well when they have their first leaves I will carefully transplant them into compost filled cardboard tubes and keep them in the house for a little while longer before moving them out into my bubble wrap cloche in the greenhouse. Then I'll be putting them into their beds, cardboard tubes and all, in April time.

Never grown parsnips this way before so I'm hoping that they will be okay but I'll direct sow some in April anyway.

VPM
x

PS When I say roots, I'm talking 1 tiny, few mm long root per seed :)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good to see a post from you Compo, hope you have been keeping well.

Dear VPM, i don't grow parsnip this way, so i could be wrong, but i think i would be transplanting these germinated seed, as soon as i saw any sign of root. Of course i could be wrong.

Johnboy did a very well written piece on this subject, maybe you or someone could find it and put it as a link.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Hi OH, I found this particular thread in which there are both 'growers on' and 'planters out'. I don't think this is the one you remember but JB talks about his parsnip seed germination as part of the discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5323&hilit=parsnip+seed&start=15

I'll be 'sowing' more parsnips on kitchen towel in a couple of weeks and I may well sow any germinated ones direct into soil from that but with starting this lot off so soon i felt the compost in cardboard tube was the way to go, to offer a bit more protection during the colder weather.

VPM
x
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi VPM,
When germinating Parsnip seed using the kitchen paper method it can take as long as 14 days before you get the radicle show that you are after and they must be kept well moist but never saturated.
When you inspect the seeds you will find that first the centre will swell and that is a good sign and on closer inspection you will note that there will be movement within the seed and as germination progresses the radicle will then extend down what is in effect a tube (very small) and as soon as that radicle comes out of the tube and you see white then is the time to carefully plant them either into compost filled bog rolls or as I believe Monika does direct into the prepared row.
I have found it best to very carefully water the bog rolls before planting the seed and then after planting the seed half an inch deep another very very careful watering maybe just a drop or two.
Sincerely,
JB.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

I shall wait until April or even May before sowing outdoors. Last year station sowed on 12th April (Archer) and have had a brilliant crop - dug up 9 yesterday. The only time I tried pre-germination was a disaster. The plants above ground looked very strong and healthy but the roots were twisted and unusable. And I thought I had been very careful.
Monika
KG Regular

Johnboy, no, I sow mine into tall root trainers first (after germinating them your way) before they go into the ground. But I shan't be doing that for a bit yet.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Monika,
My apologies but I was convinced that it was you. However somebody on this forum read my posting on Parsnip germination years ago and decided to try sowing direct into the ground after pregermination rather than using bog rolls and had great success so this proves there is more than one way to proceed.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

Big flight of Geese went over flying South while I was having my breakfast - hope it isn't a sign they know something we don't!
donedigging
KG Regular

I followed Johnboys advice about pre-germinating parsnip seed on damp kitchen paper for the first time last year after failing the year before and only managed to harvest one parsnip out of two separate sowings.

I then directly sowed them, I got 100 % success and have just dug up the last five.

Thank you Johnboy for such great advice
donedigging
Shallot Man
KG Regular

vegpatchmum. Go to Blackmoor Nurseries yoUtube. They have a video on pruning fruit trees.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:vegpatchmum. Go to Blackmoor Nurseries yoUtube. They have a video on pruning fruit trees.

Thanks Shallot Man, will have a look at that later and see what needs doing and when :)

VPM
x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic