Kitchen Garden magazine.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I don't have any complaints about any gardening magazine we occasionally buy, yesterday KG turned up on the shelf with a weekend newspaper and what a lovely surprise.

I don't have these magazines often enough to voice an opinion so why was I so pleased with KG ? How many of you KG forum-ers actually read this magazine ?

In fact, I liked it so much i'm considering subscribing. But after a cooling-off period.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Redfox
KG Regular

I subscribe to KG, have the last 8 yrs worth on binders :D .
I find that the subjects are always good, I really like the Last word at the end.
Jane
Primrose
KG Regular

I have also subscribed for a while now and always keep the last 12 months copies. Then I pass them over to another vegetable growing friend or a member of our local allotment society, as they're simply too useful and interesting to put in the recycling bin.
glallotments
KG Regular

My husband is a subscriber but to be honest we are reconsidering subscriptions of magazines so we can be mire selective
Beryl
KG Regular

My local shop puts one by for me. I read it all from cover to cover most months.Lost track of how many years. I keep back numbers for a year then pass them on.

Beryl.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've subscribed for years, since they took over Organic Gardening Magazine, and it is good to see that they haven't abandoned those writers and articles. The latest edition is a very good read all the way through, and I've finally caught up as I had two or three to read that I had missed when I had shingles in my eye.
Monika
KG Regular

I have been reading KG very happily for years now but I only keep each copy until the next one comes out and then I pass it on to another allotment gardener. We have an order for ours at the village shop in order to support them.
Dare I say, I also regularly buy Grow It (another good veg, fruit and herb magazine) and occasionally Grow Your Own but I find that one a bit twee and superficial. Gardeners World is on subscription but I just skim through that one and pass it on to my son, the gardener, who is more into growing flowers and garden design.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Monika wrote: and occasionally Grow Your Own but I find that one a bit twee and superficial.

That may be a clue to why I don't regularly buy these magazines. Mostly they are about situations and conditions that are ideal compared to my coastal site covered in gorse and blackthorn because of it's survival capabilities.

I noticed and showed interest in the article on, "The idea shed". When I arrived in North Pembrokeshire it only took six months to design my idea shed and another six months to build it though it way-over and above what most gardeners would need or could warrant the investment.

My idea shed is the size of a small house built to building regs for habitation plus an engineer-designed roof to cope with the wind-loading, it houses all my machinery and toys together with a utility area. It's warm when I light the stove, has running water though yet to have a glass-house attached to one elevation. My ideal shed is just about as inappropriate to most gardeners as most monthly magazines are to me.

I don't expect KG magazine to ever be slanted in my direction but it does seem to be more interesting than the 'others'.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I used to subscribe, for a few years, but don't any more. Through no real fault of the magazine, I hasten to add. But there are only so many varieties of vegetables, and so much that can be said about them. It is bound to come full-circle after a while. Not that I'm saying I know it all, there are still occasional tips/snippets to be picked up, but not the same return as when I started out, and not really enough to justify taking the magazine.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thats a very-good-point Tony.

I'm a novice, most magazines seem to pander to occasional gardeners, novices and improvers so I suppose if you're experienced then reading these magazines is just about studying the views of other gardeners and keeping up to speed on products.

My last subscription was to a motorhome magazine, I don't fit into the brackets of your average motorhome owner/user any more than I fit into the brackets of the average gardener. I subscribed for nearly two years, by the end of the first subscription year everything other than annual new products changes seemed to rotate in slightly different guises.

Same with newspapers, I read a quality daily, but I don't read it every day. I found when I bought this daily on a daily basis there appeared to be less-and-less to read because of the repeat stories on a different slant, usually done quite skilfully.
Richard.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Generally mags are getting so expensive I think twice now and only get one occasionally if really interesting. or with special offers of use. Some mags are stuffed with advertising and very pricey for little real content.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Beryl
KG Regular

Hear hear NB.
I have cancelled my 2 monthly women's mags and computer mag. Both I can read in about 10 mins. I have to say even the Saga mag is half adds too. That will go at the end of the subscription. I was a bit horrifield when I totted up just how much I was spending per year. TKG is the only one I take now.

Beryl.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:Generally mags are getting so expensive I think twice now

A general gardening magazine (Name withheld) I used to have on an occasional basis had twice as many pages as KG and though I don't have the facts in front of me i'm guessing some magazines will attract more advertising though they don't share that revenue with their subscribers and occasional buyers.

£4 for something you browse-through, then stack, is expensive. If it's informative enough to be archived for it's content it's good value, i'll probably buy the next two months over the counter in-order to test my enthusiasm.

Almost as an afterthought and sliding slightly to one-side, I realised we use our substantial library of cook-books less-and-less because it's so easy to type into Google, similar with gardening ?
Richard.
Monika
KG Regular

I am afraid, my OH and I are avid magazine buyers, and we do read them and all of them are passed on to other people (i understand that some of them are then further passed on). Not having a TV, we read a lot, including books, when we can't get outside. Every so often, I drop a magazine but usually replace it with a different one for a trial.

With more and more magazines covering all known subjects, it must be very difficult for advertisers to discriminate between the, for them, most profitable ones!
Diane
KG Regular

I look forward to the KG magazine being delivered. Today I received two free packets of seeds. I especially like the Poultry section. Mine gets passed on...and then passed on again.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic