GEE-UP on the menu

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

NB we love vegetarian food, we also do loads of juicing, but my OH likes eating meat. So I do half veggie and half meat, we eat a good quality beef casserole, we eat chicken bought from a good butchers, we like sausages occasionally but recently have not liked any we have bought so we have a new mixer which we bought so we could mince our own meat. I think that if people cooked good quality meat and veggies there would be no need to buy ready meals. It costs less to cook good food than buy these ready meals. I can make a pound of mince make 6 to 8 meals. One pound of Skirt beef will make four meals.
Westi
KG Regular

OMG Diane - do you think that is possible?? :(

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well i thought i would play safe last night and have homemade fish and chips, but as i was half way through eating it, i suddenly wondered if it contained Seahorse..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tracie
KG Regular

A well known supermarket was selling rump steak the other week as sirloin steak.

Suprise suprise sirloin is more expensive than rump.

This just about says it all
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
John
KG Regular

You were lucky OH it could have had some sea slug in it!
I can recommend sea hare with a little sea cucumber though and sea urchin is quite a delicacy.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
alan refail
KG Regular

Popped over to the village butcher this afternoon. He reported an enormous increase in sales of his minced beef. It is excellent and made from the best cuts of beef, no rubbish.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

It makes you wonder what the next cock up will be, radio active fish ? That nuclear reactor is still polluting the sea big fish travel great distances and currents can spread it
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Primrose
KG Regular

Interesting to see Waitrose supporting British Farmers. Why can't all the other supermarkets do it too? I'd rather eat less meat but of a higher quality. Received this email from them today:

"The meat industry and meat products continue to be in the news and so I thought you might appreciate an update on what we have been doing. We have now done tests on 40 of our meat products. No horse meat was found in any of these tests. We did, however, discover that in just two batches of our essential Waitrose frozen British beef meatballs (480g), some of the meatballs may contain some pork. In fact, one of the tests carried out showed that the meat in the meatballs was, as it should be, 100% beef. But because another test indicated there may be some pork, I felt it important for you to be aware.

Although the meatballs are safe to eat, pork is not listed as an ingredient and should not be part of the recipe. The affected date codes are Best Before End June 2013 and Best Before End August 2013. No other date codes or products are affected.

If you have any of these products with the affected date codes in your freezer, and would like to return them to us, we will be happy to give you a refund and suitable replacement.

At Waitrose, the welfare of animals and quality of our fresh and frozen meat has always been of the highest priority. That is why we have just announced that in partnership with our dedicated beef supplier, we will create a new facility which in addition to supplying all of our fresh beef, will also now produce a range of frozen Waitrose beef products. All the beef processed at this site will continue to be sourced from our known and trusted group of British farmers.

As farmers ourselves, we strongly believe in championing British produce. We only stock fresh and frozen beef, pork and chicken from British farmers – and that includes the meat in our ready meals. The only exception is lamb, which is a seasonal meat and requires some New Zealand lamb to make up for our requirements outside the UK season. To ensure you have the very best tasting lamb all year round, we have established a small group of New Zealand farmers who work closely together to complement our English and Welsh lamb producers.

Like me, I’m sure nothing is more important to you than the safety, quality and taste of the food you give your family and that is why I wanted to write to you directly in this way.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

The one good thing coming out of this is my local butcher is busier now. Lets hope it lasts.
Primrose
KG Regular

Our local butcher is doing well too, and rapidly selling out of his own burgers and sausages. But he he says he'll probably scream if one more person comes in and jokingly asks for a nice piece of horsemeat :lol:
donedigging
KG Regular

image.jpg
image.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
donedigging
Westi
KG Regular

OH! :D :D

Westi
Westi
peter
KG Regular

A horse walks into a bar.

"Too late," says the bartender, "we're joking about the pope now."

"He's right," sighs Richard III"
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic