Boiled Eggs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Everyone,

My Hens are laying for Britain, I am getting anything between 6 & 10 a day from 12 hens. I know I shouldn't complain but I have had far to many to deal with over Christmas so I decided to make pickled eggs.

The making of the pickled eggs is not the problem that is fine, its how do you remove the shells without ruining the egg.

Has anyone got any hints or tips on how to remove the shells, another thing is the shells are solid by that I mean they have a really good shell, in fact when boiling 3 dozen of them in the same pan not one of them cracked the water was as good as when I first put it in the pan.

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Arnie, i'm not an expert in the kithchen but, i think the problem is that the eggs are to fresh. i would have thought that they need to be at least a week old.

I'm sure someone will have the answer you need.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi OH

Thanks for this But how old is old, for myself any of my eggs after 5 days are classed as old, so here is another question how long can I keep my eggs before they are unfit to sell :) :) Not that any of them are around after a week :lol:

Regards

I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
darkbrowneggs
KG Regular

As was said, don't use when too fresh (eggs kept in the fridge can still be useful for cooking for weeks and weeks)

Once they are boiled run them immediately under cold water, and shake the pan violently to cause the shells to crack all over

Shell under water whilst still warm but not hot and the shells should come away cleanly.

There is lots of stuff about eggs on my site :) including what to do with the surplus
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi darkbrowneggs,

Thank you, now for the stupid question :oops: :shock: do I shake them with the pan full of water :lol: :lol: and knowing my luck most of it will end up over me :( :(

Regards

vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Arnie wrote:Hi darkbrowneggs,

Thank you, now for the stupid question :oops: :shock: do I shake them with the pan full of water :lol: :lol: and knowing my luck most of it will end up over me :( :(

Regards

LOL, I am so glad you asked that question :D

VPM
x
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

For a short while I was Chargehand in 'the egg boiling plant' in a food production factory (for scotch eggs and mini egg bites). we boiled tens of thousands of eggs per day! Enough to fill a double garage at least!

Cheers, Tony.
Diane
KG Regular

When they are hardboiled...tip out the hot water and replace it with cold water or run them under the cold tap . Then, tip out the cold water....and place the eggs wrapped in a clean tea towel - and then just roll them about (pressing down lightly with your hand) until the shells crack.

Then you can peel each egg, under a running tap (which will sluice the shell away for you).

That's what I do.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Diane :)

Thanks for this, this sounds doable :lol: just need to sort out how old the eggs have to be before boiling them :?

Regards

alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Arnie

7-9 days old seems to work very well for us. Happy shelling :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Who would have thought, the humble boiled egg could have caused such a cracking topic. :oops: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi OH

Please no more :lol: :lol: looks like the yolk is on me :roll: :shock:

Regards

Arnie :wink: :roll:
peter
KG Regular

RE Shelling, don't shoot till you see the whites of their eyes. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Arnie
KG Regular

Peter & OH

You two are poaching all my best yolks. :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

Regards

Arnie :lol: :wink:
peter
KG Regular

My apologies for scrambling your thread, but then you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic