Cheery start to the year

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

I've been a bit of a miserable so-and-so of late, complaining about the constant rain and darkness. But today has been fine with a few welcome glimpses of sun; let the new Leghorns and Light Sussex out for their first run round the field; popped into the polytunnel for a cheering look at the winter salads etc which really seem to have responded to the milder weather of late. I resolve to be more positive :wink:

IMG_1288 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1288 (640x480).jpg (281.16 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
Attachments
IMG_1287 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1287 (640x480).jpg (275.75 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Primrose
KG Regular

I think we've probably all felt miserable old gits this winter. The dark nights and endless rain has had a pretty demoralising effect. It's amazing what one sunny day with blue skies can do to switch our moods. I guess we should be thankful we don't live in northern territories where we get 22 hours of darkness during winter months.
I took a brief foray round the garden this morning and noticed several clumps of primroses in bloom, and a few bulb shoots bravely pushing the heads through the earth. It's probably too early for much to be happening but we are now at least on the right direction.
Clive.
KG Regular

...and today in the middle front conservatory, in the sunshine, Cineraria are about to bloom.....bit too soon in fact for their requirement..no win. :roll: :wink:

Clive.
Attachments
Cineraria 01-01-12.jpg
Cineraria 01-01-12.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
Cineraria 1-1-12.jpg
Cineraria 1-1-12.jpg (60.9 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
Chantal
KG Regular

We walked around the valley in the sunshine today; if we ignored our wellies being up to the ankles in mud, it could have been a late spring day, it was glorious.

Came home and cleaned out one of the greenhouses, so ready to sow the onion seed, at last! :?:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It's amazing how a little sun can lift the lowest of feelings.....

Lovely photographs as usual Clive.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

A polytunnel full of cheer :) What a wonderful sight and those flowers are going to look amazing Clive - looking forward to the picture I'm sure you'll post for us in due course ..... please ;)

Itching to get planting now - have got to be patient though :)

VPM
x
peter
KG Regular

Mmmm, indeed, a polytunnel with dry surface soil, I took a minute or two to ecognise the stuff as its so long since I last saw any. :(
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
alan refail
KG Regular

peter wrote:Mmmm, indeed, a polytunnel with dry surface soil, I took a minute or two to ecognise the stuff as its so long since I last saw any. :(

It does tend to attract all our sparrows inside to take dust baths :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
alan refail
KG Regular

A fine dry start to the new year! Well, it lasted one day; yesterday it rained all day and this morning it was thick fog, which distilled into persistent drizzle this afternoon, and now the fog's back and the drizzle is still here. So much for New Year optimism :( :(
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Much the same here, Alan. Conifers dripped water all over me when i was trying to cut them, borders were too sticky to be on really, and to really finish the day off, the battery has collapsed on my rotavator and the mice or rats have chewed through the petrol pipes. :evil:

But it could be worse, so i have to smile. :)

robo
KG Regular

the rain has never stopped here, i went down to the allotment today with my grand daughters we lasted half an hour before we gave up
Monika
KG Regular

Same here with more rain, drizzle and low cloud. The soil is still far too wet to dig anything. We were hoping to move some more manure but, having to wheelbarrow it down a steep grassy slope, it's a bit dangerous when it is so slippery.

The garden around the house could do with a bit of a tidy up, so might do that tomorrow IF it's dry which it certainly wasn't today. Many bulbs are showing through the ground and I shall give them some soil/compost cover.

But I bought a large bunch of daffodils today and shall love to see the flowers unfurl ...
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Bulbs showing through here too, and the rosemary is flowering, the blackbirds are enjoying the last few grapes that did not ripen and the land cress strawberries spring onions and beans are growing strongly. Sadly my mum died today - had been very poorly for quite a while but peaceful at the end, thanks to hospice help thats why I had not been on the forum much lately, had been spending tiime with mum - as my brothers are both abroad looks like it will be a busy week for me arranging everything. A belated happy new year to you all !
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

So, so sorry Nature's Babe, not sure what to say, apart from you were a wonderful person the way you looked after your Mum for all that time.

Westi
KG Regular

Sorry to hear your sad news Nature's Babe - God Bless! Thankfully we now have the experts in the hospices to ease suffering & help prepare those left behind as well.

I don't think Happy New Year is right - have 'A Good Growing Season'!

Westi x
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic