Glycerin

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi everyone :D

I have been told that I can use glycerin in my Hens water, it is used to stop the water from freezing :shock: now how true this I am not sure.

Has anyone used this method before and how much glycerin do you use per liter of water, and does it work :roll: :roll:

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
farmer jon
KG Regular

we use glycerin at the cemetery to stop the water freezing around the flowers in the vase. usually about half a teaspoon to a vase. sorry I can't help you about the hens water but it definately stops the water freezing as it lowers the freezing point.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

LOL, watching this with interest, as I don't know either. A little glycerine in icing sugar helps to stop icing going rock hard too !
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi NB :lol:

Does this mean i will only ever get soft boiled eggs :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Regards

I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Chantal
KG Regular

I was wondering the same thing this year having had the drinkers turning into giant popsicles.

I looked on a poultry forum and it says

Drinkers in Winter - how to stop water freezing

I imagine you are all worried with the weather getting colder as what to do with your drinkers to stop the water freezing inside.
A handy tip it to add a few drops of glycerine into the water, as it is oil based the water does not freeze and is completely harmless to poultry. It works on temperatures to -8c.

Available from the baking dept in supermarkets.

I'm going to give it a go.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for this, I too like Chantal will be giving this a go :) I bought my glycerin from Boots for less than £1-50 for 200ml so it should last a while.

Regards

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I was reading through some other sites for suggestions to stop the water freezing and none said how much glycerin to use, or whether it worked.

Other suggestions were:

Standing the drinker on an upturned biscuit tin with a couple of air holes in it and lighting one or two tea lights inside the tin.

Adding a teaspoon of olive oil with garlic (from Morrisons) - she said the water didn't freeze and the hens liked it.

Having two drinkers and just swapping them over if one freezes.

Putting a bottle, jar, or other lidded container filled with boiling water inside the drinker.

An American one suggested using a heated dog bowl! Do we have them in this country? - and how warm does the water get?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I wonder if the glycerin would help with the laying of large eggs, too. :oops: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Diane
KG Regular

Never tried adding glycerin to my hens' water - might give it a go.

I do know that giving them a drinker containing hot(ish) water to drink is a waste of time - as hot water will freeze quicker than cold water.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/waterchem ... -Water.htm
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi

Spent a couple of hours this morning cleaning the hen's drinker's and refilling them but this time I've added some glycerin which hopefully will stop them freezing when this cold weather turns up mid week.

Will report back to see if this really works.

Regards

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

What a waste of time that was :roll: it did not work :( :( drinker's frozen solid :cry:

Not sure as to what I can do to stop the water from freezing any body got any idea's :D

Regards

Chantal
KG Regular

I put glycerine in the chickens' water yesterday and it didn't freeze even though it was registering -5C when I got home. It froze the day before without the glycerine, it was one big popsicle.

It is in one of those special chicken drinkers though, don't know if that makes a difference as there's not much surface area to freeze.

I'll report back after today's freezing weather.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Arnie,
My mother used to add one lemon table jelly to about half a gallon of water and used to keep it in doors and if what was already out had managed to freeze over night she used to put out some of her 'liquid' which didn't normally freeze during the day. That which had frozen was brought into the kitchen to thaw out and put out the following day if it had frozen over night again.
Chickens do not have access to water overnight normally so her system worked quite well. That is if I remember correctly! (very many years ago)
JB.
retropants
KG Regular

does the glycerine method apply for bird bath water too? my blackbirds and robins have trouble when their drink is frozen!
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Retropants,

I would say yes, but I am not sure what effect the glycerin would have on their plumage if they had a bath in it :? :?

Regards

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic