Who are all these mysterious "guests"?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

The Forum is very quiet of late, but there always seem to be a large number of "guests". A lot of them seems to be listed as doing things only possible when logged on. Below is a selection from this afternoon. Is this some sort of bug in the recent upgrade, which also removed many, but not all, avatars? Just puzzled :roll:

Capture 15.51.PNG
Capture 15.51.PNG (56.26 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Elaine
KG Regular

Hello Alan. It seems very odd. The button which says "Hide my online status" or words to that effect, where we log in.....could that be anything to do with it?
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Elaine

No; people online appear as registered, hidden or guests. At the moment it reads:

In total there are 46 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Elaine
KG Regular

Right...never explored that option anyway. If you don't have the answer, there is little chance of me coming up with it!
I've just had a look and it says 55, 6 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests. A couple of Bots were viewing the index page and a topic in general chat.
So, what are these Bots please??
Happy with my lot
peter
KG Regular

Google, yahoo, etc, searche engine web-indexing software. Robot software out on a mission to catalogue and index pur words for the wider www.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
glallotments
KG Regular

Are they viewing members statuses to find out if we have websites or blogs that they can have a go at spamming! Must admit my blog has recently been swamped by spam. Fortunately very little of it is published being filtered out before it gets to that stage but it does come to my email account to confirm it as spam which is a nuisance. Can't imagine why spammers can't see it just annoys rather than encouraging me to visit their links. Pay gay loans were very active at one time - now it seems to be weight loss sites
peter
KG Regular

If they're not logged in then they can't see profiles.

BTW those loans you were offered look discriminatory!
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

alan refail
KG Regular

peter wrote:If they're not logged in then they can't see profiles.

If so, why are they listed as "Viewing member profile"?
glallotments
KG Regular

BTW those loans you were offered look discriminatory!

Oops should be pay day!
Elaine
KG Regular

Thank you Peter. Thought it must be something of the sort.
Happy with my lot
peter
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:

If so, why are they listed as "Viewing member profile"?

I don't know, I pre-checked my statement by empirical experiment

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And then they were gone! :?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Capture sunday.PNG
Capture sunday.PNG (66.63 KiB) Viewed 3498 times

They're still up to their old tricks. Don't they ever sleep?
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Of course it's possible that some of these guests are from other climes and, as such they are on a different timeline to us and are actually browsing the forum in the evening, afternoon etc and maybe haven't realised this is a British based forum and therefore some of the things we're discussing aren't relevant to their particular needs :)

That said I hope some of them do decide to say 'Hi' and share their experiences with us :)

As for the 'Bots', they are a fact of internet life :D

Oh and is it possible that a guest clicking on a 'Member Profile' will still show as doing that even as they are reading the 'Registered Members Only' message (or whatever the message actually is) that pops up when a guest strays into 'member only' areas? ;)

Vpm
x
John
KG Regular

I run a small website for our village hall. Please don't ask me any techno questions because I can only just about do what I have to do! My site has been set up so that I can check up on any visitors. I'm amazed by the number of phantom visitors who come for less than a second - I guess that they are search engine type visitors just doing a quick check on my few simple pages.
Its quite interesting though checking up on visitors because I can see a lot about their computer systems, the browser they use, operating system, pages that they may have viewed and how they have arrived eg as search result.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic