BORAGE

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

The bees loved the borage I planted in summer, it flowerred and seeded, lots of seedlings grew and I was amazed to notice it flowering again a couple of days ago, shame there are no bees around to take advantage of it :) I also picked a couple of rosebuds yesterday.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I was surprised how many plants were still flowering last week. There were wallflowers, nasturtiums, red valerian, borage, roses, primula, rock roses, rosemary, clematis and quite a few others.

The past few days frost will probably have finished most things off though, it only got up to -2c in the unheated greenhouse by lunchtime today, and when I dug up some carrots up in the garden this afternoon the top 2 inches of soil was frozen solid. It hasn't got above freezing even in the sun. The weather forecast says we might get some sleet or snow tonight, so it might feel a bit warmer!
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:The bees loved the borage I planted in summer

If your experience matches ours, they will be enjoying it for the next decade or more with all the volunteers. We had a trial field of sugar beet which had once had borage grown on it - there was a lot of borage, the bees loved it - so much so that when we tried to hoe it out, we had pretty much a swarm of them behind the tractor :lol:
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Just trying to imagine Tommy the Tractor weilding a hoe, pursued by a swarm of bees, there is a kids story in there somewhere. :lol:
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic