Learn something new

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

Found this site - www.memrise.com

I'm learning how to recognise the different trees and also doing a course of Blood Cells of the Body (well, it looked interesting). Lots of fun stuff and useful courses too. Might have a bash a Mandarin later on (well maybe not - I'll have to do the Memory Training course first). :shock:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks for telling us about this Diane - it is really good. I've just found the one for learning Estonian so I'll be able to try it out on my son's Estonian friends when they visit. Don't we get lazy when everyone speaks good English?
Primrose
KG Regular

Well I'm still on the basic fundamental course of trying to figure out which are the Harlequin ladybirds versus our native ones. Every time I think I've figured it out I come across one which starts to raise doubts in my mind again. Does anybody else have the same difficulty?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The harlequin ladybirds do seem like quite a few of the rarer UK ones, but they usually stand out like a sore thumb if they turn up in your garden as they are very different from the two spot and seven spot that we are used to. The more I look at the identification sheets the more confused I get.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I am relearning something, as I had not knitted for ages, it's been too wet and cold for the garden so I have been knitting beanie hats for presents - hunky chunky ones for the men and some quite feminine ones for the ladies, must be good patterns because they are turning out very well, fun and quick to do ! I also bought a little book to remind me how to crochet so I may try some crochet flowers to go on one or two hats - no - not on the mens ones ! :lol: Now I am pondering what I might crochet on a mans hat, you know like a logo thingy. :roll:
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Gardening tools....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

L.jpg
L.jpg (18.05 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
Diane
KG Regular

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
glallotments
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Well I'm still on the basic fundamental course of trying to figure out which are the Harlequin ladybirds versus our native ones. Every time I think I've figured it out I come across one which starts to raise doubts in my mind again. Does anybody else have the same difficulty?

The problem is that there are just so many types and designs of ladybird. The young harlequin is easy to recognise as it is more spiky than the young of our native.

As for learning something new - I'm on the look-out for a photography course where I can learn how to use all the dials on my camera other than auto. One where I don't feel like an idiot because everyone else seems to already know everything!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic