Help with computer.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Beryl
KG Regular

Is there any of you computer buffs out there that can help me? My new computer is great except for the keyboard, it is so small and I keep hittng the lock caps by mistake not realising it till I've typed several lines. Most annoying. I'm sure I have heard somewehere that there is a way of disabling the lock caps so this doesn't happen.
If not then I think I shall have to go and buy another keyboard.

Thanks.
Beryl.
Catherine
KG Regular

Hi Beryl
There is a way to disable the button. If you type in to your computer disable locks cap on computer there are several choices which explain how to do it. Sorry I don't know how to link something.

But having read them it looks like it causes more problems than it is worth. So beware..
Beryl
KG Regular

Thank you Catherne, I am probably being a thick, but where do I find 'disable lock caps' on my computer?

Beryl.
Catherine
KG Regular

Sorry Beryl I did not explain it properly. you can type the words into a Google search you will come up with several suggestions on how to do it. But like I said it does sound a bit like getting rid of one problem to get another.

I have been having problems with my spreadsheets in Excel. I typed a question into a google search engine and I have now been able to sort the problem out.

Good luck.
glallotments
KG Regular

Is this for a mobile device, a laptop, tablet or desktop computer?

Desktop - I'd just but a separate keyboard and you can also attach a separate USB or wireless keyboard to a laptop
Beryl
KG Regular

Thank you both, I am beginning to think it woud be better just to buy another keyboard. Why does everything have to get smaller and smaller these days? It is for a desktop PC and having looked at the Miroscoft 500 with larger keys and a wrist rest, I think that is what will go for.

Thanks again.
Beryl.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

It would be a good idea if you could highlight the passage that has been mistakenly printed in upper case and change it all to lower case in one fell swoop (also changing the lower case for upper).

Cheers, Tony.
Catherine
KG Regular

Hi Tony/Beryl There are loads of short cuts on the key board here are some I use.
Highlight the words and then do the following
Hold down shift key and press L for lower case
" " " " " " S for sentence case
U for upper case
C for capitalisation of each word

Control key does lots of things. Ctrl +C for copy
Ctrl + V = paste
Ctrl + B = Bold

Sorry I could go on for ever with short cuts on the keyboard
JohnN
KG Regular

Perhaps try folding a small piece of paper, projecting about an eigth of an inch, in an L-shape into the space round the bottom and right of the Lock key. Your errant finger will feel it and not go there?
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Thanks for that Catherine, :D gonna try right now.

Cheers, :wink: Tony.
glallotments
KG Regular

If you're interested in Keyboard shortcuts you may be interested in this list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts

To be honest unless I use shortcuts regularly it takes longer to remember or find the shortcut than it does to operate the 'long cut'

I just have a few that I use regularly. Also it depends whether I am working using the mouse or keyboard at the time. If I have to switch from mouse to keyboard to operate at shortcut it sort of defeats the object.

To be honest back to Brenda's problem if the use of a small keyboard is uncomfortable - as it is for my husband who has quite large fingers - then investing in a comfortable keyboard is really worth it!
Beryl
KG Regular

I think I have to agree with you glallotments. My new keyboard is winging it's way to me now.

Beryl.
John
KG Regular

Hello Beryl
Probably a decent keyboard that you are comfortable with is the best answer.
Disabling the caps lock key seems to involve going into the windows registry which is best avoided.
If you have typed a lot of text you can toggle through the various case options by selecting your text then pressing SHIFT + F3 (in Word) to get what you want - saves re-typing. (Some keyboards have an F key lock so you will have to press this once to enable the F keys.)
The caps lock key seems to be a relic of the old days when keyboards imitated the typewriter keys - nobody these days uses all caps except in title text.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, you are right John. I didn't think it would all be so complicated when I asked the question. Having been a typist for more years than I care to admit to I do still hammer the key board more than I should. That lock caps is always in the wrong place.

Thanks for all you advice and comments.
Beryl.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

What are you all talking about . :? :?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic