Morrisons leek rip off !!!!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

On Friday I called in Morrisons for various bits of shopping. I was looking for some vegetable and looked at some leeks. The sign said Half Price £2 a kilo then there was a £2 sign crossed through and £1 shown. I picked up a pack only to find the weight of packet was 500g. A £1 sticker on it so it was £2 a kilo not half price. I spoke to one of the members of staff who agreed that the sign was not right and removed it.

Today I went in again and the sign is back. So I collared a more manager looking chap who ARGUED :shock: with me that I was wrong and I did not understand the sign. He said that they should be £4 a kilo and in fact they were half price. The loose leeks in the next bay were £2.59 a kilo!!

What do you think.....Am I wrong. If not I am going to email Morrisons with a complaint.
Geoff
KG Regular

Regret I think their labelling is correct if possibly confusing, I think you are reading it as "half marked price" whereas it is already marked down. Now even more annoying mine haven't grown if that's how much they are. Off to Lidl today to spend a £5 off £35 token out of the paper so I'll have to look how much they charge.
glallotments
KG Regular

We go to Morrisons and have taken to asking assistants to tell us which is the more economical - the packaged fruit marked up say by kilo or the loose fruit marked up by items e.g. 50p for 1?

It's never straight forward as which is better value varies. Assistants invariably scratch their heads and can't give an answer so we take the items to the scales and then tell them which is better value. We only ask to draw attention to the problem which I'm sure they know exists. Just as some of the packs marked up as just a £1 are less economical than buying loose fruit - this is often the case with bananas.

Yesterday it was packs of chicken breasts that had me doing mental arithmetic.

Then there are four packs of baked beans that are more expensive than buying four separate cans!

I'm sure all supermarkets are guilty of the same confusing pricing and if I was you I'd still write and complain about how confusing their pricing is!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

glallotments. Just go by the unit price. Though I must add 20 20 vision is required.
glallotments
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:glallotments. Just go by the unit price. Though I must add 20 20 vision is required.

I've never found unit price on the packages that advertise per kilo and believe me I've looked!
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Everyone is counting the pennies (exept perhaps those with the letters M.P. after their names) but trying to find the better value of the same product with all these various weights and varying prices is very frustrating.

There. Rant over.

Cheers, Tony.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A fine rant indeed, Tony.... :)

All supermarkets only have one thing in mind, and that's profits. So when they advertise about trying to help families save money, well.... I always imagine them sitting round the boardroom table planning their next rip-off saving. :evil:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Definitely need to be taking a calculator to the supermarket these days just to see past the so called offers.

For example yesterday when I did my monthly shop in Tesco: 2 x 1.3 to 1.5 kg fresh whole chickens plus 450g casserole steak for £10 which works out at £3.33 per chicken and for the portion of casserole steak. Per kilo the steak, on this offer, works out at £7.40/kg, that's if my maths are right - (3.33/450)*1000.

However, then I spotted that I could get 2 x 1.6kg chickens at £3.20 ea (half price offer) plus casserole steak from the counter for £6 per kilo and the counter steak is a much better quality.

I'll be eligible for a job on Countdown before very much longer :D

VPM
x
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

And don't these silly prices make you feel smug when you can go home and pick your own lovely fresh veg at a fraction of the shop prices, or get a few ears of sweetcorn etc from the freezer.

Re the unit prices, the Co-op usually has these displayed which helps, but it isn't much use when they have a mix of kilos, grammes etc and the liquids in fluid ounces or litres, millilitres. You can work it out, but don't always have the time or inclination.
Catherine
KG Regular

Waiting for a reply from Morrisons not heard anything yet. Though I do have a Case Number :!: watch this space.
Johnboy
KG Regular

In Morrisons you have to watch out when buying Cathedral City Cheese.
Recently there was a "Special Offer" at £4.50 for a 600 gram pack and the shelf had been cleared by unwitting customers. Right next the the wonderful offer was just a plain sale of CC Cheese £2 for 350 gram pack so you could buy 2 packs and get 100 grams more cheese for 50 pence less than the "Special Offer!"
Catherine. I think that the Leeks saga is caused by them being loose and free to select your own when the others that were on special offer were processed and packeted which adds to the price considerably.
With the packeted product there is no waste supposedly.
I agree that they should be clearly marked with the initial unit price as well as the reduced offer price.
I will not use Tescos because I really do not find they mark any of their "special Offers" sufficiently. I only use Tescos out of desperation.
I actually prefer Morrisons but would use Sainsbury's but they are a 55 mile round trip when Morrissons are only 24 miles round trip and they also sell the cheapest diesel in the district.
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

if you count the cost of your petrol too that makes them very expensive leeks - If I need veg I get local from farmers market or when mum was so ill and I could not leave her to garden, a veg box scheme which is is cheaper than supermarkets and they deliver. I am trying this year to grow it all and was doing quite well until the chicken got into the veg patch and ate half my greens just planted LOL - Hope they will recover from a good pecking and scratching for worms !
I remember my father saying decades ago that the supermarkets will swallow up all the small shops - then they will battle it out with each other - then they will charge what they like! Yes we do have choices - but our choices have consequences ! Already most of our our towns are looking like clones, either we support local growers or lose them. Fortunately round here we still have local veg shops butchers, fishmongers and an independent supermarket, the choice is great and the food really fresh, this week I was able to buy local black winter radish, large chinese radish,lovely dirty parsnips and carrots, and a great range of local greens including beautiful romanesco and the beetroot were so fresh whoever bought them could use the leaves as greens.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... sta-coffee
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic