Steve's Allotment Diary

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

This is my weekly diary of my two allotments in the West Midlands, my website is updated weekly and using the link below you can see the latest progress.

This thread replaces all others which have been removed to avoid confusion, thankyou Steve.

http://www.myallotments.blogspot.com
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Steve, see everything is going well. I think your gooseberry cordons will be spetacular in a couple of years, i have not seen them done like that for a few years. With your swedes, the old boys used to say not to sow them before the end of may, but i am not sure what the reason for this was. It will be interesting to see how yours turn out.
As for your rhubarb fool, i hope you don't mind but i'm going to make a couple of changes.
Serves 1, serve in large glass bowl, and eat it all myself.

Kind regards a rhubarb fool loving Old herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
jane E
KG Regular

How do you find time to do such a brilliant web page every week? I find that I don't get time just to keep up on the gardening front. I find it very interesting. I haven't got any bar one row of potatoes in - soil too wet. Your record said to hurry up.
peter
KG Regular

Hurrah, clarity!

Steve, what is your favourite veg and why?
1/. To grow.
2/. To eat.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Steve, how do you get your Missus to let you garden all day whilst she is at work. I put the idea to mine and got an answer that ended "me first"?
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

Thankyou Old Herbaceous, I like your ideas about the Rhubarb Fool recipe, thanks Steve.
STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

Hi Jane E, Peter and Piglet Willie for your nice comments, I find that it only takes a couple of hours on a Friday night to update my website and as I have given up watching Gardener's World I find it quite rewarding and relaxing to look back at what I have achieved during the week, thanks Steve.
fuchsia
KG Regular

Have just had a quick look at your Link Steve and I must say it looks pretty impressive for this time of the year ,and some good tips there too
STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

Hi Peter, with regards to which are my favourite vegetables to eat and grow, I think my favourite to grow is the potato as this was the first vegetable I ever grew and because of the taste experience of freshly harvested new potatoes on my dinner plate within an hour I got the vegetable growing bug, as for my favorite for eating it would have to be the Runner Beans, when you get your first picking of the year it's great, thanks Steve.
STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

Thankyou Fuchsia for your nice comments, I'm glad that you liked my website, Steve.
fuchsia
KG Regular

Steve I really liked the way you have your Rhubarb enclosed slightly it looks quite contained mine tend to flop in the heat of the summer and yours look like it would be fairly cool in there !
Fuchsia
STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

Hi all, another busy week to tell you all about, I've updated my website with this weeks progress, I hope you will enjoy it, thanks Steve.

http://www.myallotments.blogspot.com
John
KG Regular

Hello Steve
Always enjoy reading your latest news - wish my own patch was as tidy and well-organised as yours!
Impressed by your loooong runner bean row - are you intending to feed the whole town this summer?

John
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Steve, looks like you will have to put off cleaning the oven for a couple of weeks. I should think you will be sick of the sight of plug plants by the time you have done that lot. Do you grow just the one variety of runner bean?
Steve i'm really not being big headed but i'm hoping to dig a root or two of early potatoes next weekend.
I planted them under those wire and polythene tunnel cloches, and they have really taken off.
The only downside is that they are swift, and i don't think they are the best tasteting.
Keep up the good work.

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

Thankyou John for your kind comments, I have a very grateful collection of family, friends and neighbours who will help relieve me of any surplus beans and any other crops that I have going spare, thanks again Steve.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic