MyHermes

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

jane E
KG Regular

I've been waiting for an incubator which I've bought on ebay and which was being delivered by MyHermes.I bought it on 27th Sept. It was shipped on 3rd Oct and MyHermes 'attempted' to deliver it on 8th Sept. Since then the seller has been chasing them and given me several dates for delivery but nothing. Today he gave me the tracking no. and the phone no. to ring. He instigated a search and I made an enquiry, hoping that a 2 pronged attack might produce the goods. It's back at the depot because they failed to find the house (once!) but they can't actually find it at the depot - yet. What does it look like and what's in it?!!!! Then today I was told -
....that I must bear some of the responsibility for having a difficult rural address!!!!!
Discrimination??
Oil tankers, Tesco, refuse collection, P.O. vans, other carriers all find us - BUT NOT MyHermes!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Jane E, i think a lot of this problem is down to individual drivers. As i do most of my work in the village where i live, and often walking about with my wheelbarrow, so i must look like a local. Now the times you see some of the delivery people going up and down the road, obviously looking for somewhere, but do they stop and ask, no.

Recently we have had a few, "what sound by their accents to be from African deccent", delivery drivers, stop and ask for directions as soon as they have seen me. These drivers have all been so polite and grateful, it really seems quite refreshing.
A few weeks ago i helped one of these drivers to plan his next few drop-off's, he was so pleased he said, "We are now Brothers", to which i added, "but probably not identical twins", to which, after the penny dropped, drove off laughing his head off.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

jane E wrote:It was shipped on 3rd Oct and MyHermes 'attempted' to deliver it on 8th Sept.

It would have been most impressive if they had succeeded !

Sorry :)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Off with his head... :)

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've had exactly the same problem waiting for a chainsaw to be delivered by Yodel (who I'd never heard of before). When I phoned to find out where it had got to I was told they had made three attempts to deliver it but couldn't find my address.

I gave very detailed instructions how to find it and the man eventually turned up with it at 7 o'clock at night. I asked him what the problem was and was told the computer kept telling him it was next to no 8. Since I live at no 10 it isn't rocket science that if he kept going along the road he would come to 10!!!! Anyway I was relieved that I didn't have to wait in for it for another week.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

It's the satnav generation I'm afraid :)

If the satnav say's you live in the middle of a lake, that's must be right :)

Some of these van drivers need to be educated to read that old fashioned thing called a road map :lol:
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Shallot Man
KG Regular

We have some new postmen who I noticed using a hand held sat navs. Have you noticed they now deliver all times of the day. My latest so far was 1900 hrs.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Ahhhhhhh-yes. A subject very close to my heart and on a weekly basis for the last ten years I have been working unsuccessfully to get the person or firm or shop sending items to take some responsibility for accurate delivery.

I live at the end of a track with grass growing in the middle, half way along this track the adopted road ends at the chapel, what used to be the vestry and the chapel-house. If you enter my postcode into a satnav the destination is at the chapel, ten residences using this post code are dotted around the chapel including the farmhouse, converted barns and what used to be workers housing.

Most drivers know with such a small community you only need to knock on one door or ring a telephone number that I gave to the person sending the parcel.

There are two main problems, first is stupidity and the second is it's easier to fail the parcel then it is to get your head around the delivery area particularly if a relief driver is being used.

Hermes works very well around here, all the area parcels are delivered to a local lady who's job it is to deal with the final deliveries. Because she'a local she knows everyone and all the nooks-and crannies, she knows my dogs name and when i've been poorly she knocks and comes in.

As has already been said the problems are usually down to an individual who can't be bothered or just can't work it out.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

Ditto Richard. Our postcode covers a big area and often drivers ask for directions but, like you, our MyHermes lady is regular and reliable. Don't know if it was another on time delivery but she kept doing the round while she was very heavily pregnant this Summer! I suppose it would help if we all had better house signs. I'm always surprised that with all the fuss about Post Office losses we haven't had to adopt American style end of drive boxes.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I do hope your delivery lady, had a safe delivery, Geoff.

Gerry
KG Regular

I moved to Ireland 13 years ago and at that time my credit card statements were being delivered late, incurring interest, even though I paid them as soon as they arrived.

This prompted me to examine the envelope and I discovered that the bank were using predictive text. This caused my address to be printed as Co. Cork, IRAN. It's a wonder that they arrived at all. Of course the bank reimbursed me.

Regards, Gerry.
Monika
KG Regular

I once a a letter which stated "N. Yorks" (for North Yorkshire) which had gone all the way to New York! Luckily, it eventually got here.

I once had a colleague who interpreted an address given over the telephone as "Aberdavey" for "Abu Dhabi" and sent a letter to Wales. It also found the recipient, albeit with a delay.

Good for the Royal Mail and all other postal services, I say!
alan refail
KG Regular

For obvious reasons, when giving our address on the phone, we have to spell every word letter by letter as all our address, house name, village, postal town and county consists of Welsh words. Not many people can get Chwilog down correctly if we just say it :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
peter
KG Regular

Is there a Welsh version of; Alpha, Bravo, Charlie,......Yankee, Zebra? :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
alan refail
KG Regular

peter wrote:Is there a Welsh version of; Alpha, Bravo, Charlie,......Yankee, Zebra? :twisted:

Not so far as I'm aware. And if there was we'd no doubt spell them: Alffa, Brafo, Siarli,...............Ianci, Sebra :wink: :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic