Where's Nigel?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

Anyone know what's happened to Nigel, the dog, in Gardeners World? He's been missing from the programme for two weeks now with not a mention :( Monty looks a bit bereft without his companion - the sight of Nigel trotting along used to cheer me up when faced with blighty toms and rotting courgettes.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
glallotments
KG Regular

I'm missing Nigel too - I hope he is OK and just keeping hos paws dry! He's the highlight of the show.
Primrose
KG Regular

Interesting how we monitor seeing broadcasters' pets on programmes. I always used to enjoy seeing Chalkie steal the thunder on Rick Stein's cookery programmes. Loved the shot where he was caught catching a rabbit in somebody's garden, right under the eyes of the camera man.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Primrose. To me the classic shot when the bloke said to Rick Stein. Are you going to stuff Chalkie when he dies, the look on Ricks face was a picture to behold.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I do loathe Rick Stein. I'm sure the amount of screen time given to Chalkie was to help disguise the fact that the only cookery he appears to know is how to pan fry a fish with some garlic and shallots.

I e-mailed the BBC when I was in a bad mood one day to remind them that it was supposed to be a cookery show, and so I was only interested in Rick Stein's dog if he intended to cook it.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Tony Hague. Any special recipe. !
Westi
KG Regular

Best google Vietnamese recipes then Shallot Man! I work with a girl from there & when she went home last year her friends tried it - how sad is that from Brits abroad?! (She hasn't & didn't)
Westi
Westi
Catherine
KG Regular

Nigel's with me in a holiday cottage in Wales sitting in front of a wood burner. :D with a glass of wine and has been since Friday. Or at least my OH Nigel is. :D Not watched GW for two weeks, I have it saved on Sky + to watch when we are home. :) I hope GW Nigel is OK.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I seem to recall that Geoff Hamilton had a cat called Dennis, but I cannot be entirely certain. I've not watched GW in years; posho Mumbling Monty brings me out in hives. Is he still going on about hedges?
Allotment, but little achieved.
Geoff
KG Regular

He's got Box Blight, or is that the hedge.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tony,
I feel exactly the same way about Monty Don as you about Rick Stein who I know is a very capable chef but regret the same cannot be said about Monty Don as a Gardener.
My vision is that Rick barbeque's Monty to prove to you that he can cook just about anything! :wink:
JB.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Interesting isn't it, what makes you like or loathe a presenter.

I quite like Monty, or at least, what you see of him as a presenter - I've never met him in person. He is at least enthusiastic, and does not over-complicate things. And, whilst he may not have the formal qualifications as a gardener, as a presenter he makes a better show than Toby did, IMHO. He's even got a nice dog :wink:

Rick Stein, whatever his qualifications as a chef, as a presenter always seems patronising to me. The really annoying series was the one where he traveled around farms and food producers, really top notch ones, and finished every week moaning about why everyone couldn't have food like that. Because we can't all afford to pay £12 for a small chicken Rick, that's why.
glallotments
KG Regular

Alan Titchmarsh often gardened with a cat sitting on hos shoulder!
John
KG Regular

- and what about poor Carol Klein?
Nearly all the spots that she is given on GW involve her banging on week after week about propagation - taking cuttings, dividing clumps and so on. With her knowledge and experience, I'm sure that she has much more to give the programme than this.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

John wrote:- and what about poor Carol Klein?
Nearly all the spots that she is given on GW involve her banging on week after week about propagation - taking cuttings, dividing clumps and so on. With her knowledge and experience, I'm sure that she has much more to give the programme than this.

They should give the whole programme over to her. She's given the technical stuff to do because she's the only one who knows how to do it. I would rather see more of how to get plants for free than most of the rest of the content which consisted, last time I looked, of ways to spend money. But I gave up watching this dreary pantomime some time ago.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic