What is a quince?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

vegpatchmum
KG Regular

There I've asked it :oops:

Don't know what one is but him on Gardeners World seems to think they are delicious with anything and everything. Are they like apples? They looked like a cross between an apple and a pear from what I could see on last nights programmer. What do they taste like and how easy/hard are they to grow?

Sorry if this is a daft question but I've often heard people talk about them but never, to my knowledge, seen or tasted one in the flesh, as it were. And yes I know I could google it but I thought I'd get a better, all purpose answer here :D

Thanks in advance
VPM
x
peter
KG Regular

Tree, bit like an apple, fruit a bit.like the Asian Pears you see in supermarkets, but not quite the same shape. Very hard highly "perfumed" fruit.

Recommend you look at this link to RHS http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/pro ... px?pid=298
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
glallotments
KG Regular

We have a quince tree on the plot and I posted about them on my blog last week. The link is here if you want photos of the blossom/tree/fruit etc. They are not harder to grow than apples or pears.

http://glallotments.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/not-living-up-to-its-name.html

I think Monty Don must have taken a peek and decided to pick his.

We love them - the taste is very difficult to describe - I guess sort of like honey but more fruity than sugary. Last year we mixed them with apples in crumbles or had them alone in a crumble. This year we haven't many so have many a apple and quince compote which we have with yoghurt or porridge.

Hoping for a better harvest next year!
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Thanks for that peter and glallotments. They really do look a lot like pears. May have to look at tree for the back garden :)

VPM
x
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear VPM, don't forget, you have to grow them over a pond, and then put on waders to pick them..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

I just got bogged down on the mower going past where ours is growing so that almost counts I think. I don't know what they are like either, not had any fruit yet though we had some nice blossom last year.
glallotments
KG Regular

Ours is nowhere near water unless you count all the rain!
Primrose
KG Regular

I'd never really come across them until we saw them growing in Portugal and wondered what this fruit was which had a slightly furry skin and looked a cross between an apple and a pear. Bought a bagful back from a holiday there and turned them into a quince preserve which had a lovely fragrance. Are they on sale in supermarkets? Don't think I've ever seen them sold commercially in any great quantities.
JohnN
KG Regular

I have a 70 year old tree quince tree that usually produces lots of fruit, but this year none at all!
They make very tasty wine, especially sweet "social" wine. Bit too much strong flavour for a dinner wine.
My local pub cook takes a lot of them and makes lovely sweet quince jelly. I usually get at least a dozen pots, which are useful as Christmas presents. The jelly is lovely with cold meats, instead of redcurrant or apple sauce.
glallotments
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:I'd never really come across them until we saw them growing in Portugal and wondered what this fruit was which had a slightly furry skin and looked a cross between an apple and a pear.

When they are ripe they lose the furriness and turn from green to yellow.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Dear VPM, don't forget, you have to grow them over a pond, and then put on waders to pick them..... :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I did wonder what ever happened to planning where you plant things?

Monty thinks: "Where in this VERY large garden should I plant my quince tree? I know just the spot ..... 't'other side of the VERY deep and wide pond where it will require the help of the Coastguard to harvest them" :D

VPM
x
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes I can't imagine what he must have been thinking. . Perhaps he thought it would never fruit. Hasn't he ever heard of those long handled extended fruit picking products where the fruit falls off into a sort of fishing net?
peter
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Yes I can't imagine what he must have been thinking. . Perhaps he thought it would never fruit. Hasn't he ever heard of those long handled extended fruit picking products where the fruit falls off into a sort of fishing net?

What do you think he is, some sort of gardening expert? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic