It's here!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

OK only just started - lets compare what we thought was good & bad, happy & sad tomorrow!

xx
Westi
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Well for a start I think it's disgusting that English appears to be the second language at the opening ceremony :? :? !!!! Commentary is in French first with an english translation second!!! I am not impressed :x

VPM
x
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I was that tired when i sat gown, i fell asleep and missed the whole thing!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi OH,
What a shame to have missed a memorable slice of history. I didn't think that the history books mentioned "Old Herbaceous" slept whilst Rome burned!
All day yesterday I was debating with myself should I watch this or not.
I actually got home after a grueling day in the hayfield at 20.45 hrs made a cup of tea sat down and didn't have anything to eat last night because I watched absolutely totally enthralled and never got so much as a drooping eyelid right to the very end.
I simply did not envisage what I saw and what I saw was a wonderful spectacular never ever to be repeated.
I do not have the time to watch any of the games but will no doubt see snippets of the best.
Hay making finished and if the weather holds today it is straight on to the winter Barley. No peace for the wicked.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

Quite happy up to forging the Olympic Rings, Queen unflustered as ever despite parachuting in, clear story well done. After that it seemed a bit disjointed, wasn't sure NHS fitted in and didn't get the whole section with the projections onto the house. The official parts were well done like the flags on the mound and the cauldron lighting. But it ended on a sour note with the ludicrous McCartney bit (regret to say it but where do you find a deranged lone gunman when you really need one, he doesn't seem like he is going to retire of his our volition, why do people keep dragging him out?). PS : French has always been the language, down to the old Baron.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:Quite happy up to forging the Olympic Rings, Queen unflustered as ever despite parachuting in, clear story well done. After that it seemed a bit disjointed, wasn't sure NHS fitted in and didn't get the whole section with the projections onto the house. The official parts were well done like the flags on the mound and the cauldron lighting. But it ended on a sour note with the ludicrous McCartney bit (regret to say it but where do you find a deranged lone gunman when you really need one, he doesn't seem like he is going to retire of his our volition, why do people keep dragging him out?). PS : French has always been the language, down to the old Baron.

All above exactly my feelings and I turned off as soon as I realised Sir Paul was about to start caterwauling again - was bad enough at the Jubilee Concert. Someone really needs to tell him that his voice has gone and that retiring is the only thing to do!!!

I was about to post that I'd googled the French thing and realised it was one of those weird tradition things - still didn't like the fact though :) but thanks Geoff. :D

All in all I think China did a better job than us for the opening ceremony, for all the money spent in staging it!

VPM
x
peter
KG Regular

I'm with Johnboy on this one, I watched the Prom from the Albert Hall and when that had finished joined the opening ceremony as the wheat was being dragged off.
The only two hits that didn't quite gel for me were;
The winged cyclists, why did one go up in the air for nothing? Looked like an ending was missed.
Then McCartney, lovely chap. good to see he's keeping busy, but surely others were available? (with better voices?)

The best things, the respect being shown, good fireworks, the "Cauldron" and the incredible lighting effects.

Oh and the joke of 007 fetching HM & the two of them parachuting in. :D
It looks as though a lot of chaps will have worked throught the night and onwards to turn the place back into a sports arena.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
alan refail
KG Regular

...and a snip at a mere £27,000,000 :wink: :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Johnboy, i always seem to nod off when there's something on that i'm enjoying, most annoying i have to say.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
ashb
KG Regular

Well i thought the opening ceremony was very good one or two
funny moments i.e the queen and rowan atkinson not the bishop :)
but it went down hill at the end with the ex beatle paul making a
real mess about time he gave it up he made me cringe his so
called singing was dire.
ash
its nice to be important
but its more important to be nice
scooter 2008
Westi
KG Regular

After the taster at Bejing with the red bus stupid thing I was worried - but it was pretty good - liked the rings coming down & many of the things like the towers coming up, the cauldorn and the Bond & Rowan Aitkinson bit - but the NHS thing was pretty weak and why did GOSH get so much attention - free advertising :!: All in all a job well done GB!

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I enjoyed most of it, especially the Queen and James Bond. It wasn't at all what I expected, but was generally well done. They could have saved a few pounds leaving out the illuminated flapping cyclists and I also switched off as soon as Paul McCartney appeared - he really ought to call it a day.

I just hope we win a medal or two after all this effort and expense.
Westi
KG Regular

It's not turning out like the hype - I really think the commentators and the press are the kiss of death at times..just wish they would shut up about our medal hopes and just report what is happening!

Westi
PS Didn't quite understand why our Gymnast went from Silver to Bronze. What were the Japanese protesting about?
Westi
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I think the issue with the Japanese gymnast was whether he fell off the horse sufficiently stylishly for it to class as a dismount - thus deserving points. I hope our gymnast got points for his very impressive if unintentional "dismount" from the bars :lol:
Westi
KG Regular

Deffo fell not a dismount..All credit to the UK team who were dignified throughout!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic