Breakfast: the most important meal of the day

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

I have always accepted the saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. A real breakfast may have plenty of calories, but it should give you plenty of energy to burn them off in the morning and it also prevents elevenses snacks and drinks. A small lunch is all that's needed to keep you going through the afternoon.
Our supermarket shopping is much speeded up by missing out the seemingly endless aisles of sugary/salty cereals, "healthy" mueslis etc.

Our breakfast cast list includes the following:
Sheila's repertoire: scrambled eggs and smoked salmon (always on a Monday); egg and bacon; bacon with tomatoes or mushrooms and lambs kidneys or black pudding; sausage and scrambled egg.
My specialities: Baked beans on toast (yes!); poached eggs on toast (always on a Wednesday); Caribbean fried fish; Jamie Oliver's excellent kedgeree; garlic pork (vin d'alho - the Portuguese original of vindaloo, but certainly no curry).
Always preceded by freshly squeezed orange juice or juiced orange, apple and carrot.; Toast and home-made marmalade as required.

What are your views? And no, there are no invites for breakfast!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
snooky
KG Regular

Alan,you didn't list the most important item-the first cup of tea of the day!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
alan refail
KG Regular

snooky wrote:Alan,you didn't list the most important item-the first cup of tea of the day!!

Sorry, snooky. We have that at five o'clock, and the second at breakfast :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Colin_M
KG Regular

I'd happily eat several of the ones on your list Alan.

My daughter loves cooking Indian food and often used to cook wonderful savoury breakfasts for us.

Apart from the usual toast, I quite like porridge when I'm organised enough to make it. This sometimes gets tinkered with to include dried fruit, some cinamon stick and occaisionally some Black Strap Molasses.
Stephen
KG Regular

Alan:
I agree with the view that breakfast is important, for me it is the best meal of the day.
W. Somerset Maugham stated, "To eat well in England you should have breakfast three times a day."
My breakfasts are different and simpler to yours but I never leave home without having eaten one:
My options are: usually, three slices (thick slices) of toasted granary bread with home-made marmalade or (less often) museli with some stewed fruit. Always with a cafetiere of coffee, drunk black.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
ashb
KG Regular

cripes you never eat all that in one go do you? i only have afew spoons of rice crispies and thats only because i have to eat something before i take all my prescribed drugs before i go to work oh and 3 mugs of coffee.
ash.
its nice to be important
but its more important to be nice
scooter 2008
Johnboy
KG Regular

I always go down the plot and earn my breakfast and most days do not eat it at all. (that does not imply that I am a lazy git) I generally have a sandwich for lunch and then have the breakfast I should have eaten in the morning for my supper. My daughters inform me that that is why I have a paunch!
Like Alan my first cuppa is around 5am and am generally doing something immediately after the farming programme which ends at 6am.
The only time I will eat a full English at breakfast time is when I am away and am paying for B & B. I then tuck in and then seldom have any lunch but there must always be tea glorious tea. I simply could not exist with out it!
JB.
Tigger
KG Regular

I have a very large latte first thing, usually about 6.30am and eat my breakfast at work, sometime around 8am. Much to everyone's disgust, it's usually leftovers and always savoury (I don't like sweet breakfasts) - curry, chilli, fish pie, liver and onions, whatever. If there's no leftovers then I have a couple of eggs scrambled (sadly in the microwave) and cold toast (we're not allowed a toaster so I have to make that at 6.30am), or cheese and biscuits.

Even if I wasn't working away from home all week, it would be the same. I hate cereals and porridge and can't eat first thing, but know if I skip breakfast, I'll be hungry all day.

Lyndon alternates between porridge and a mixture of salt and sugar free cerals, topped off with homemade muesli and a banana, plus a latte.

At the weekends we have a traditional cooked breakfast one day and a treat the other day - eggs benedict, coddled eggs in spinach, heuvos rancheros, cheese omelette - and the occasional croissant or slice of toast. Always with fruit juice and a latte.

Like JB - we like breakfast for dinner/supper but we try to only do that once a month, although a mixed grill can look a bit like a breakfast at times!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I have my breakfast at night to save time in the morning. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

OH. Befor or after supper. :roll:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just after late supper, Shallot Man, i do like my food i must admit. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I love fruit and veg, so it is often a fruity breakfast. grated apple or frozen fruit mixed into muesli with some yoghurt the night before softens overnight and makes an easy breakfast the following morning, cool and fruity, very nice on oppressively hot days, also home made fruit smoothies. On cooler days, mushroom omelette, frittata, boiled duck eggs, with yolks like the rising sun and some toast, poached eggs with spinach, spanish omelette, homemade rattatuille with poached egg.
Oh yes, and a nice rich cup of coffee to wake me up as I am an owl, not a lark, and I often experiment and try something new, eg garlic and herbs, indian spices or truffle in a frittata. Alan you sound like my ex mother in law, we could tell what day of the week it was by what was on the table !
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
peter
KG Regular

Always cafetiere(home) coffee, usually a bread roll or danish pastry, eaten in the car on the way to work, followed up with filter machine coffee at work.

At the weekend either similar, or bacon roll sometimes with a fried egg in, muesli, porridge and once in a blue moon a full fry up with beans & eggy-bread.
Long long time since I last had the full fry up though.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
hzbzsz
KG Regular

Currently sending better half off to work at 4am with a flat bread and large mug of split pea (sometimes with ham) or lentil (sometimes tomato/spicy) soup, I make a batch on the crock-pot on a Sunday night. I myself have yoghurt and a banana. We save the "full english" for Sunday mornings when there is time to enjoy bacon, egg, mushrooms, tomato, potato esp saved during the week from a steamed veg meal, I add spinach/silverbeet leaves from the garden, grain toast, "proper" coffee. Often we have an omelette or a boiled egg for a quick easy evening meal esp if we have some fresh local eggs.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero
Diane
KG Regular

Apart from a cup of tea at 7am - I cannot stand the idea of eating in the morning. I'm just not hungry..don't know why? It's now 1.30pm and only now am I feeling that I want to eat and that will be the muesli from the health food shop (no packets!).
I've always been like this.

I'll have my muesli....then at around 6pm we'll have a proper evening meal (cooked by OH) ...and then I'll have an orange or something similar.

My husband usually has a "proper" breakfast - but the smell of anything cooking in the morning makes me feel sick. Can't even abide the smell of toast.

I'm quite healthy....just got a funny metabolism I guess.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic