Breakfast: the most important meal of the day

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

hzbzsz. I assume you being Australian, you are chucking out the Shelia each morning, or have things changed in the Antipodes. :roll:
hzbzsz
KG Regular

lol Shallotman, I'm the Sheila, and I chuck the Kiwi bloke out early in the
morning! We met in the USA, and I had 3 yrs living in the UK before that !
Mum, a nurse, passed away now, lived in Hanwell, Ealing until after WW11.
Her garden led down to the Brent, and her Dad was a keen gardener being a
victim of gas in WW1 he couldn't work, but "provided" anyway.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi hzbzsz,
When posted to your country when the Blue Streak Rocket was being tested the RAAF breakfasts were such things as Steak and Eggs named by us servicemen as "A Full Australian" or "A Kangaroo Breakfast." Do they still continue the practice?
I think it was that that put me off eating breakfasts!
Sincerely.
JB.
Westi
KG Regular

Johnboy - that brought back memories - not quite the same but my grand dad was a shearer and we had lamb chops for breakfast every morning - always with an egg!

I'd be put in care now days if they knew my child minders filled my veins with cholesterol with my parent's approval! (Still my favourite but in moderation now days!)

Westi
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Westi,
Well I don't know about Lamb but they also served up Mutton Chops and yes always with an egg. The strange thing is that I rather like Mutton but not for breakfast.
Do you know I spent a whole year flying north to south and south to north and never got time to visit anywhere other than Adelaide and Alice Springs. I will make no further comment for fear of giving offence. :wink:
JB.
Monika
KG Regular

I think our breakfasts are probably the most calorie-laden meal of the day: chopped fresh fruit (changes according to season), home-mixed muesli with lots of nuts, topped with stewed fruit (ditto), fat-free live yogurt and a spoonful of manuka honey - all this in one bowl. And that is always followed by a tin of fish, shared by OH and myself, like sardines, pilchard or mackerel.

That probably sounds disgusting to some of you but really miss the fish when I don't have it.

For the rest of the day we eat quite abstemiously, mostly vegetables, some fish and very little meat.
Westi
KG Regular

Now you mention it Johnboy - it was obviously mutton. The shearers only got the old ones with no value for their wool. Still like lamb but mutton is harder to find down these ways so can't compare.

Westi
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Westi,
I manage to get a supply of mutton about four times a year and my butcher will inform me the week before it is available and I buy one shoulder for use immediately and one for the freezer and also two necks which makes the most marvellous mutton stew. I think that all the mutton comes from the same Welsh farm. It is always top quality. last time I had some minced mutton and I made a great curry using Pataks Vindaloo paste. Really scrummy.
I find leg of mutton too much for my aged peggies!
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

Forgot to include the occasional favourite in my breakfast list - a good Craster kippers. Looking forward to one this morning.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Primrose
KG Regular

Fruit, bran flakes or wholemeal toast for me but try to keep in portions small.

In winter I often eat Scotts Rolled Porage Oats, sometimes with fruit in it, cooked in the microwave for convenience & speed but somehow don't seem to get the creamy texture I'd like. Suspect this is because I use a combination of skimmed milk & water to keep the calories down so perhapsI should try full cream milk & see if it makes much of a difference. How do all your porridge afficionados cook your porridge?
peter
KG Regular

Skimmed (green top) milk & microwave.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Tony Hague
KG Regular

In a milk pan, stirred with a spoon (or a spurtle, for purists). It gets creamier the longer it is simmered. If you try to simmer it in a microwave it goes all over the place because you can't stir it properly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic