Getting SO close, I can almost 'smell' it

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Urban Fox
KG Regular

There are other ways of getting rid of it even though it may be abhorrent to you.

Hi JohnBoy

I did a lot of research on bindweed and there seemed to be three recurring ways gardeners and allotment holders managed to weaken and kill it...

1. Glyphosate
2. cover it for at least a year
3. every time it pokes it head above the soil - carefully dig it out

I've learned that these three things on their own - don't work. But all three together give you the upper hand.

I'm not averse to chemicals in moderation - so I did use glyphosate first. This takes a good 30 days to have any effect and as Peter mentioned it has to be done when it is growing - so that the glyphsate is fully absorbed and kills the roots.

Once it was brown and crispy (a beautiful sight!) - I started digging. Most of the root was brown and dead - but some was definitely still white and alive. This was carefully removed and burned - never put it on the compost heap.

Then finally I covered over the ground with a weed supressing membrane. This stopped any weed seeds getting a foothold in the freshly turned soil - but also any bindweed that emerged would be leggy, weak and easy to get out. interestingly mainly thistles emerged under the membrane. But thanks to the rain the soil was soft and their taproots easy to remove.

Every so often I spot a new bindweed plant - and use the roundup gel on it - so as not to kill the plants I want to keep.

I haven't won the war yet - and I think I probably never will. But, at least I feel a bit more in control.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Urban Fox,
I am pleased that you have replied.
The one thing that I think that I would suggest is to leave any digging for a minimum of six weeks after the application of Glyphosate and longer if possible.
You cannot dig the complete tap root out however much you think you have and what is left will work its way to the surface eventually.
I was struggling with Bind Weed long before Glyphosate was available and also Couch Grass. I even employed six pigs because that was said to be the organic wonder cure. Pigs spread Couch Grass and although the Pork was nice they went when Glyphosate came along.
I do not have any Bindweed or Couch Grass on my growing plots now and that is due to treating with Glyphosate and leaving it long enough to complete its work without interference.
JB.
peter
KG Regular

Yesterday was so sunny & hot that I spent the middle of the day in my raspberry patch, sat on the tree shreddings mulch, carefully disentangling the six bindweeds I missed earlier on the year. Its a b****r of a job, but the satisfaction in subsequently dosing the laid down plants with glyphosate more than made up for it. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Peter,
Some time back, maybe 10 years now, my Gooseberries were attacked by the dreaded Bindweed and like you I carefully unwound it all laid the vines on sheets of Polythene and brushed the Glyphosate well into the leaves and left them to perish and am pleased to say that they have never returned.
I had a Hydrangea absolutely choked with Bindweed and I used bamboo sticks to get it all growing off the plant and again laid the polythene under
the sticks, now carrying the Bindweed, and again brushed the leaves with Glyphosate and it was killed off and has never returned.
I think that it is a case of slowly, slowly, catchy-catchy monkey!
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi piglet, another reason not to ratovate. worth viewing before you start http://vimeo.com/21689321
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Piglet6
KG Regular

Watched about half of that so far - very interesting. Will catch the other half later. Thanks :D
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Don't forget, if the plot is in such a state you may be able to refuse this plot and not have to go to the bottom of the list. You could ask for the council to do a lot of the heavy clearing if there are loads of rubbish left behind.

There is a tendency to say yes, yes, yes. Then have second thoughts, but that said, I hope you are lucky and it's a goodun.

Cheers, Tony.
Piglet6
KG Regular

A very good point, Tony. Thanks :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic