Getting SO close, I can almost 'smell' it

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Piglet6
KG Regular

I'm at the top-ish (2nd) of the waiting list for an allotment. Came home to a message on Tuesday saying that 1 whole plot & 2 half plots have become available but they are not at the site I'm holding out for.

The site I would dearly like is a 2 minute welly-walk from my house!!! Been on the waiting list for 2 years so another few weeks or months won't matter.

Anyway, thought I'd better get myself up the Lotties to decide if I'd like a half or whole plot. Decided half will be more than adequate, at least for some time.

When I got there there was a man strimming a pathway. After a while he said Hello, and he turned out to be the Allotment Secretary (the man who'd left me messages & spoken with me before). It was good to put a face to a name!

He showed me a plot that was available, and said there was a man due to arrive any minute that was coming to look at it, but that if he didn't want it then it could be mine. It is very very weedy - don't think it's been used for at least a year! They've cleared the brambles and would re-strim it and rotivate it for the new owner. Then he suggested starting at one end and plant as you clear.

Exciting but daunting.

AND, he persuaded me to take some rhubard from his plot. He said he has got soooo much he can't even give it away. So, hubby & I are having a little crumble very soon. :D
peter
KG Regular

Don't for heavens sake let anyone strim & rotovate before you take a plot on.

It might look good but all the weed roots are chopped up mixed in and moved around, together with all the strimmed foliage including any seeds......
Bindweed will regrow from a one inch bit of root.
Dandelions will regenerate from the top of the remaining taproot.

Whatever clearance method(s) you want to use it helps if you know what's growing where.

For example.
You might choose to spray the single clump of Bindweed and dig out everything else by hand over the rest of this year.
This would let you get some of the first cleared area going with late summer / autumn sown/planted crops and move into next year with it all available for growing.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

I have everything crossed for you Piglet6 - hope the other person doesn't want it :D

VPM
x
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Tend to agree with Peter. Patience is required during the first year. :wink:
alan refail
KG Regular

For goodness sake don't let them rotovate it :!: :!:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Yep not a good idea to chop perennial weeds each little bit grows again Piglet!
If it is too late to plant much you could clear a small amount to put in some autumn planting, then layer cardboard / newspaper leave no gaps on the rest, then manure well, top with grass clippings etc anything organic that will rot down overwinter, hopefully most will have died off underneath and you will see if anything persists easier to deal with in spring and the worms will have loosened it all for you while munching on the topping you applied Google lasagne gardening several videos on you tube too, the bit u clear but didn't manure would be fine for carrots etc next year
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Westi
KG Regular

Good Luck!

Westix
Westi
Piglet6
KG Regular

EEEEEEK. Thanks for the tip-off!! I'll work through it laboriously by hand then (when the time comes). That's what I thought I'd have to do until this chap mentioned rotivating. Yes, I remember my parents picking out every single bit of couch grass and/or mare's tail (??) from their allotment years ago.

The Lottie chap hasn't phoned or left a message so I'm assuming that this other chap has taken the plot. Oh well, at least that means I must be #1 on the list now, eh!?
Monika
KG Regular

Oh, Piglet, I do hope you get your allotment soon. And just to put your mind at rest: when we took over our allotment about 25 years ago, the site had not been used as an allotment for more than 20 years and was completely overgrown with nettles (= sign of fertile soil!). It took us a year to treble dig it all, removing every scrap of nettle and couch grass root, but we have never looked back. So, good luck!!!
Piglet6
KG Regular

Thanks Monika :)

I don't think I've got this one as the chap hasn't phoned me, but it can't be tooooo far away now, what with being at the top of the list now.

there are 4 allotment sites around my town, but I am hanging on for a plot at the site that is basically at the bottom of my road and I can walk to (in about 2 minutes). When plots become available at other sites people will be leap-frogging me on the waiting list.

I've waited 2 years already, I'm happy to wait a bit longer. And maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing if I don't get anything until the New Year.
Urban Fox
KG Regular

The previous owner of my allotment only grew potatoes and rotavated it every year.

Which is why I am spending all my time battling with bindweed. The damn stuff is everywhere.

Try and convince your other half that old fashioned digging is best.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Urban Fox

Which is why I am spending all my time battling with bindweed. The damn stuff is everywhere.

If your quote is absolutely true then it is you that is probably helping to spread the Bind Weed and will continue to be the bane of your life.
There are other ways of getting rid of it even though it may be abhorrent to you. There are times when chemicals are the only way.
I appreciate that the Glyphosate police will have something to say about this!
JB.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I am with Johnboy, if and when you get that plot, I would without any qualms use Glyphosate.
Piglet6
KG Regular

Where do you purchase this *whispers* glyphophate (sp?)?
peter
KG Regular

Any of the DIY sheds have own label generic versions, brand name "Roundup". Plants MUST be in active healthy growth for glyphosate to work and it takes several weeks.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic