Positive things here - come on 1 each from all of you

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Following on from the 'Let's give up and try again next year' thread:

Come on guys! Let's try for some positivity here. All year I have been thinking of a Positive thing for each day and so far I've managed it. Some times it hasn't been easy and a positive has been hard to pin point and tenuous at best but I've done it and it really has made a difference to the way I think and feel.

So the purpose of this thread is for each one of us to forget about blight and the failed/failing crops and, instead, focus on something positive and here's mine to start with:

My squashes and pumpkins are finally throwing out their vines AND I have flowers developing and flowering on all varieties - time yet for fruit to set, swell and ripen :D

VPM
x
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Despite it's been raining all night and still raining this morning, i'm still positive because, i'm harvesting potatoes, broad beans, peas, carrots, mange tout, lettuce, cucumbers, cabbage, cougettes onions, garlic strawberries and raspberries. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

I don't need to water anything outside. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Jude
KG Regular

Baby broad beans and carrots with our chicken last night, first bunch of sweet peas in the hall filling the house with scent. Will have first of dwarf frenchies by end of week. No pain in shoulders from carrying watering cans!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
hamsterhead
KG Regular

I've been assigned an allotment and getting excited, (it doesn't take much these days :D )
Built for comfort, not speed!
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Lol, Welcome to the boards Hamsterhead and congratulations :D

VPM
x
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My last posting on the Give up and start again was in a more positive vein too.

Lots of food for blackbirds and song thrushes, plenty of weeds to fill the compost heaps, beautiful roses, delphiniums and herbaceous flowers, masses of soft fruits, peas growing inches every day, juicy lettuce and very happy baby brassicas, and everything in the greenhouse romping away, so never mind the sulky courgettes and warm weather plants and enjoy the rest that are doing well.

It would be nice if it stayed dry long enough to mow the lawn though.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

vegpatchmum I love your positive attitude! Farmers are struggling too as crops are down, some fruit crops by 90% - think of all the money we will save as prices rocket!
growing our own helps keep down emissions too.
My grape vine is so heavily laden it broke moorings and fell to the greenhouse floor, yesterday - rehung the vine, and only lost one small bunch
which was fortunate, removed a few leaves to let the sun get to the fruit and pickled leaves in brine to make dolmades later this year.
New plantings take well !
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Monika
KG Regular

Lovely gardening weather: the ground beautifully damp, the sun is shining, there is not a breath of wind!
Diane
KG Regular

In spite of the bad weather - all my new David Austin roses are flowering and looking wonderful. No greenfly (I think they've all been washed away).
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Stopped raining. Strange object in sky.

Glug-glug.
ashb
KG Regular

:D for a 1st timer at gyo we had our 1st strawberries yippee just waiting to harvest the potatoes and everything else ive had a go at growing and last but not least a very big thanks to everyone on here for all the help and advice you have given me i would most likely had given up so THANKS ONE AND ALL. :D :D
ash
its nice to be important
but its more important to be nice
scooter 2008
Stephen
KG Regular

Happy, relaxed, delighted to be around.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I am awash with strawberries. Strawberry ice-cream in the freezer. Strawberry jam in the cupboard. Strawberry milkshakes at the weekend. 3lb or so of them in the fridge. And I only have about 18 plants ! Something always seems to do well, whatever the weather,
alan refail
KG Regular

Off on our monthly visit to the excellent Chinese supermarket in Bangor and Waitrose over the water in Porthaethwy. Both are recent arrivals to lighten the darkness of Northwest Wales. Not gardening, I know, but the prospect makes us feel positive. Oh, and it's not going to rain again till tomorrow - and over the weekend.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic