giant pumpkins here we come

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peterf
KG Regular

hello all,well ive just finished rotovating the plots today.wev'e certainly got a late spring this year but thats no problem to growing pumpkins.i didn't intend sowing anything until the 3rd week of april anyway. that will be the first sowing of seeds,followed up by another 2 sowings 2 weeks apart to act as back up plants.i will keep a weekly diary as to what im doing with my plants so as to keep everyone informed.dont forget any problems drop me an email or pm and i will do my best to help out.good luck everyone :lol: :lol:
lizzie
KG Regular

Cheers Peter. I'll give you a yell if anything happens. If they germinate i'll be a happy bunny 8)
Lots of love

Lizzie
Jude
KG Regular

Peter,
I'm a teeny bit concerned, having listened to Gardeners Question Time and hearing that to grow giants one needs an area the size of 'your average living-room'
I mean, I could give it that much space, but then I won't be able to grow much else! I've read the blurb you sent with the seeds and it seems that the vines could get up to 24 ft.long. Will I be able to 'train' them in the direction I want at all or is my entire plot going to be engulfed? Thanks in advance for your helpful advice I hope!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Jude

They do take up a lot of space. I'm growing mine in old, large, square bags that large amounts of top soil/aggragate gets delivered in to building sites. I am putting these between my shed and greenhouse and, hopefully, the vines will grow straight down the path by the spuds.

This way I don't take up any extra space in the ground. That's the theory anyway. If it turns out like that i'll be surprised to say the least :lol:
Lots of love

Lizzie
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Peter,

mine are now in pots in the heated greenhouse being pampered even more than Mrs Piglet is.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
peterf
KG Regular

jude dont worry,they require a lot of vine pruning to keep them in check,as a general rule after the first seed leaves you get one true leaf.the main vine will go in the opposite direction to the true leaf so with small canes you can steer the vine wherever you want it to go.the more space you give them the better but dont be afraid to keep them in check good luck :)
Jude
KG Regular

Thanks Peter, very reassuring!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
peterf
KG Regular

hi everyone,not long now here's a link to growing these big uns.dont be afraid to ask questions wer'e all still learning.if there's any late commers we still have a few spare seeds left.good luck peter :lol: http://bigpumpkins.com/Default.asp
peterf
KG Regular

well,ive got 7 seedlings through in the gh and they are really needing to go in their beds now.but according to netweather we could be in line for a ground frost up here on saturday night.my way of thinking is to plant out half of the seedlings tomorrow and protect with fleece.if it does get that cold and i lose some or they take a hard check,im still going to have some back ups.anyone living further south with a more forgiving climate,i would say go for it some day this week.dont forget your main fruiting vine will grow away opposite to you first true leaf.take this into consideration when you plant out.good luck all peterf :D
peterf
KG Regular

peterf wrote:well,ive got 7 seedlings through in the gh and they are really needing to go in their beds now.but according to netweather we could be in line for a ground frost up here on saturday night.my way of thinking is to plant out half of the seedlings tomorrow and protect with fleece.if it does get that cold and i lose some or they take a hard check,im still going to have some back ups.anyone living further south with a more forgiving climate,i would say go for it some day this week.dont forget your main fruiting vine will grow away opposite to you first true leaf.take this into consideration when you plant out.good luck all peterf :D

bloody hell how am i gunna plant out half of 7 seedlings :shock:
lizzie
KG Regular

Ok Peeps

I'm a happy bunny cos out i've got 4 germinated seeds in the gh and, so far they look good uns. They are the only plants, so far, that the bloody slugs haven't had a nibble at.

Will plant out at the end of the month as we can still have frost here so will play safe. I've found that the large, blue Ikea bags are just the right size for planting. Plus, they're porous so are good for drainage.

Not sure if it will all work but i'm up for a challange. I'll have a bash :lol:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic