Egyptian walking onions in the post

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

David
KG Regular

Hi all,

Last year on the old forum I asked a kind member if I could have a sample of some Egyptian Walking onions (I think thats what they were called).

That was about August time I think, nothing happened and I just put it down to supply and demand. But I'm glad to say they have arrived!! Just about six months in the post - it would have been quicker if they had walked!

Dear lady, I have your address but not your name as I cant check back on the old forum to find it. I will be writing to you soon in thanks and hope you didnt think badly of me for not doing it sooner. Twas the posties fault.

Thanks and warm regards

David :D
Chantal
KG Regular

David, I had some and I think the lady's name was Sylvia, does that ring a bell?

Chantal
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
David
KG Regular

Y'know I think you are right....... any idea what we do with them?
Chantal
KG Regular

I was told by Sylvia to stick them in pots, which I did (this was 6 months ago) and put them outside. Mine are still in their pot having grown about 6 inches and will be planted in my allotment when it warms up a bit. Found this on Google

"These crazy, perennial onions are a very versatile addition to the home garden. Not only will they catch your eye with their contorted growing style, they will offer the first green onions in late winter, scallions in early spring and by late summer you will be harvesting their top sets for pickling and canning. They are easily propagated by dividing clumps in the early spring from the mother plants, planting the top sets in the fall or by letting the plant “walk”. In the fall, the hollow stalks supporting the top sets fall to the ground planting themselves close to the mother plants. This unusual “walking” motion is where the onion gets its name."

Hope this helps

Chantal
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Sylvia
KG Regular

Hi David, 6 months, that must be a record. I wouldn't think they were much use by now. If you need some more get in touch and I'll ferret round and see if I can find some. Sylvia Symes
David
KG Regular

Hi Sylvia

I have had another look inside your excellent packaging and three of them have sprouted! Chantal, thanks for your help too.

I'll give them a go and put em in pots in the greenhouse and see what happens.

Thank you again.

David :D
Onionboy
KG Regular

Hi Sylvia

I've been trying to find someone in the UK with walking onions for ages and I've registered with this forum just to be able to get in touch.

I'm trying to grow examples of every type of onion there is (well, some pople collect stamps and I collect onions !) but these walking onions / tree onions are proving really illusive.

Could I trouble you to send me a couple - I'll happily pay all the postage costs for you ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic