Mr Muck

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Ken65
KG Regular

Has anyone used Mr Mucks Composted Horse Manure.
I've recently bought a load and initially it seems a very good clean compost, easy and clean to handle. I've now top dressed my veg beds with it and will await results with interest.
It would be helpful to hear other's experience of this product, particularly comments on cost versus results.

Ken
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Ken, it looks as if you will be the one doing the judging, maybe you could let us all know how you get on with the stuff?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ken65
KG Regular

Determining application rates is going to be down to experience. Considering this stuff seems to have been dried and shreadded I'm assuming theres a reasonable degree of concentration so I'm not layering it like tradional muck. My average bed size is 16' X 8'. (5 X 3 Metres app) and I have spread 4 X 40 Litre bags on each. I've put similar coverage round my cordon fruit trees as well, they have herbaceous plants around them as well so they should benefit from it. If you've not seen this product it has the appearance and a similar texture to sedge peat, it's clean and odourless.
I'll add more posts when and if relevant.

Ken
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Ken, thanks for the update, and also hope you get some positive results.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ken65
KG Regular

It's probably a bit early to make a judgemen on the benefits of this compost but for what ever the reason my veg plot is looking the best I have ever seen it. I've been developing it for about six years as a veg garden, the previous 35 years it was my late wifes flower garden.
Everything this year is growing remarkably well right across the range. Dug my first early spuds on the 3rd of June. I'll keep posting as things develop.

Ken
Ken65
KG Regular

I have no way of telling how much the un-seasonal weather has affected growing conditions and whether this has been detrimental or benefical.
However I can say with absolute certainty that my veg this year is doing amazingly well and that is right across the spectrum, brassica's, roots, onions, celery. My only disapointment is one variety of potato, Lady Cristi. Decent size tubers but low on quantity. I am going to assume that the composted horse manure from Mr Muck has been the primary benefactor for my veg plot. It's not exactly cheap but I think it was worth the money and I shall be doing a restock in the autmn.

Ken
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Thank you for that evaluation Ken, from what you say it seems well composted and I believe it's organic too?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
alan refail
KG Regular

Useful feedback, Ken.

How much does this product actually cost? I see that their website asks you to phone for prices - people who don't quote prices always arouse my suspicions :(
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Ken65
KG Regular

Load size makes a slight difference on total price. I paid £4.00 a bag delivered but I did have 50 bags. I've used 30 of them. Weather permitting I'll drop a tape measure around my beds tomorrow then I can give a sq ft area covered.

Ken
Ken65
KG Regular

Earlier than promised here's the area covered, for those younger than me I've even done it in metres. For 70 Sq. metres I used 30 bags.

30 X £4= £120. 120/70= £1.71p a metre. As I said earlier, not cheap.

The plus factor is that I've used absolutely nothing else to feed my veg and it's reputedly organic and obviously a first class soil conditioner.
The other consideration for me was that I can't afford the space for a decent compost heap so I had been buying compost from the local authority at £2.50 a bag and to be honest it was rubbish.

Hope all that helps.

Ken
snooky
KG Regular

In this difficult year for growing it seems that on our allotment site those who have had the most success and better crops have used Groworganics/6X products to top dress their site.In our allotment shop the cost is £6-00 per 15kg bag.

On enquiring to Mr Muck the quote was £4-75 per 40ltr bag delivered(50 bags palleted).The shop would probably add £1-00 to the asking price making it £5-75 at point of sale.

The question is which product is the best value,in respect of cost to weight /volume?

I forgot to ask the NPK values of the Mr Muck product but Groworganics give their's on their website so I can't compare it that way.If Mr muck is better value for the shop then maybe they can be persuaded to stock that product.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Ken65
KG Regular

Snooky
The only 6X product that I'm familiar with is the dried sewage fertiliser that has been around for many years. Mr Mucks composted horse manure is not the same sort of product. The mr Muck product is basicaly a soil conditioner and feed type compost. The bags contain 40 litres fully composted horse muck. It has a similar appearance and texture to that of sedge peat.
Personally I have only spoken to one other user locally and they have the same high opinion as myself as regards the results.

Ken
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I put some on one of my flower beds, within a few days a few fungi had popped up, it does contain some well composted wood or bark with the manure, so its also good to encourage the natural fungi to grow, which should benefit most plants. I would give it a thumbs up too. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
alan refail
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:I put some on one of my flower beds, within a few days a few fungi had popped up, it does contain some well composted wood or bark with the manure,

I wouldn't be happy if I'd bought it and found wood and bark. According to their website
http://www.mrmuck.co.uk/product/organic-manure/ it contains "a fine blend of organic, well rotted horse manure rotted wheat straw with organic additives". Unless "organic additives" is a euphemism for wood and bark :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Comment removed.

KGAdmin
By Thomas Huxley
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic