Weathering the weather...

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Marigold
KG Regular

Wild winds, bitter cold, hard frost at night.. More like March than April.. My gazebo, ie my cover for trading, somersaulted last Tuesday and a leg got damaged. It is the pop-up type... As it got windier later, I enlisted the help of some of my countrymen - and women - off a coach. They had to find a hammer, which a council worker lent them, and finally managed to fold it up... I think they rather enjoyed the unusual episode, bless them! Not sure if it is usable and there is no way to replace it; family are in the earthquake area and still waiting to hear from them and they will need all the support available. Life here is never boring! Longing for warmer weather; winter woollies are out and on again. Planting out perforce, but only what I can cover at night... Blessings and peace to all out there...Stay warm and safe.
Diane
KG Regular

Goodness - what a challenging day.

Hope you manage to get a replacement gazebo.

Yesterday we had....brilliant sunshine...black clouds, torrential rain, brilliant sunshine again, then a mighty hailstorm followed by terrifying (to me!) thunder and lightening (very very frightening!!)...and back to a lovely calm evening, followed by a frost.

Honestly, roll on May I say.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
tracie
KG Regular

Tomato's tucked up in polly covered in fleece, fingers crossed for tonights cold weather.

Tracie
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

April is indeed proving to be the cruelest month. I've known Aprils like this before, and it don't signify. Not as far as it being a precedent for the weather the rest of the year, that is. There are some very beautiful skies, but temperatures are up and down like a bride's nighty, which is not altogether unusual for April. Last April was more like July, and April 2010 wasn't half bad, either, which gives us unrealistic expectations. I'd say this year was business as usual, from a seasonal mean perspective.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Marigold
KG Regular

Don't care re trends and mean averages; just so ***** cold is all. lol...

No frost tonight they say but so cold still.

I was trading yesterday and seemed we would die of cold. And the forecast is bad still.

Love these folk who come out without a warm hat! Yep, I sell hand made ones at half the price of the craft shops....
alan refail
KG Regular

Marigold wrote:Love these folk who come out without a warm hat! Y

What's a hat :?:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
peter
KG Regular

What a changeable day!
Bright, warm & sunny, light pleasant breeze.
Clouds arrive, dark, cold, biting breeze.
Bright again.
Rain from a clear sky above heralds more cloud, rain and breeze pick up to hard and wind.
Passes and sun reappears.

Anyone would think it was April. :)
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

The weather has been very changeable here too, drought and sun, then rain, sun again, now thunder and hail, but generally milder here no heavy frosts, so mild in fact I my asparagus gave a crop I have been picking for the last couple of weeks!
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Monika
KG Regular

Minus 3 here last night and the forecast is for even colder tonight. Good thing there is nothing on the allotment yet which could be damaged! Even in the greenhouse at home which is heated by a small oil-filled tubular electric heater at this time of the year, the temperature went down to nought. Luckily, I had covered all the tender seedlings with fleece as well.

But we are used to it - in 1981 our village was snowed in completely in mid-April . . . and since then, there have been blizzards and heavy frosts in April many a times.
Marigold
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:
Marigold wrote:Love these folk who come out without a warm hat! Y

What's a hat :?:

When sold a hat is food for a baby in India for three weeks...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic