Ready for the spring!!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

CJS
KG Regular

My mans been round again today, extended the north side fence border removing the ugly concrete planters and digging out to 4ft wide, thats now 30ft long. The ivy on the west side has gone, no more shadow and we used some of the concrete sections to make tidier compost heaps. Just need this dodgy leg to hold up when I'm out there planting?

That 30ft south facing border is destined for a 3 tear espalier apple tree against the fence, plus a couple minarets of some sort, probably a pear + one other, + low growing crop in front. Potatoes for now until the autumn, the rest of the fence boarder will be soft fruit.

Tomato corner, before:

General view before:

After, (mid clean up) loads more space to plant:

My biggest issue is what to plant and the fact that there is only the two of us? Thats without the green house . . . head scratching time, lacking imagination at present????

I suppose, the best thing is staples, cabbage, carrot, parsnip etc. I'm going have a go at celery this year, thats an unknown quantity? Salads of course and my usual Sungold toms. Hazel will be needing much of my attention after her operation?????

CJS
peter
KG Regular

Interesting boundary line at the greenhouse. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Looking at the fence adornments, expecting high water.
CJS
KG Regular

Houses used to be both on the same plot, father and son. Then dad died, so devided and sold, hence the strange fence shape.

The fenders and life ring are from my boating and fishing at sea, 25 years, just approaching retirement, looking forward to making a pig of myself on the boat with a fishing rod . . . :? Both Hazel and my health have given out. Something we dont consider when making plans 10-15 years ahead? . . .

Still have enough energy for gardening (provided I have my man to do the heavy stuff), photography, music (hifi), Hazel is looking forward to the extra produce and soft fruit, she likes her cooking . . . I like her cooking to :lol: Keep us quiet whilst we are taking our place in gods wating room 8)

CJS
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening CJS, maybe Hazel could write a list of your favourite veg and fruit and try and work out how much you will use each month. You will be able to freeze any surplus fruit and certain types of vegetables if you get a glut.

The best bit of advice i can give you is, to make more than one sowing of each type of veg, this will help spread the cropping season out a lttle.

I like your thoughts about the cooking... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

I agree with OH - do make a list of what you both really like and I would also try to stick to things which taste so much better just fresh from the garden, like peas, mangetout peas, French beans etc., rather than e.g. parsnips which are not expensive to buy and which are not that different shop-bought than fresh from the garden. Added to that, all salad stuff, of course, like cut-and-come again lettuce, radish, spring onions, beetroot ... and herbs.

Do enjoy your garden, CJS, it looks lovely.
CJS
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Evening CJS, maybe Hazel could write a list of your favourite veg and fruit and try and work out how much you will use each month. You will be able to freeze any surplus fruit and certain types of vegetables if you get a glut.

The best bit of advice i can give you is, to make more than one sowing of each type of veg, this will help spread the cropping season out a lttle.

I like your thoughts about the cooking... :)

Thanks 'oldherbaceous', spreading the sowing will help, I just have to get organised???? :?

Had my new seeds arive today, getting itchy feet already, still waiting for the rasberry and goosberry plant order to arive . . . might go to the garden center at the weekend if we are feeling upto it and the weather holds . . . if the plants come, I must deal with them first of course?

Yes, the sap is rising :wink: CJS
CJS
KG Regular

Monika wrote:I agree with OH - do make a list of what you both really like and I would also try to stick to things which taste so much better just fresh from the garden, like peas, mangetout peas, French beans etc., rather than e.g. parsnips which are not expensive to buy and which are not that different shop-bought than fresh from the garden. Added to that, all salad stuff, of course, like cut-and-come again lettuce, radish, spring onions, beetroot ... and herbs.

Do enjoy your garden, CJS, it looks lovely.

Thanks Monika, makes a lot of sence, we like mangetout . . . a lot!!! Any sujestions on growing? I remember my dad used to go to the heagow and cut twiggy sticks to grow peas up, not pratical these days?

Salads are a given of course, going to try self blanching cellery this year, see if I can get back to the tast I remember when I was a young'un. Also baby cucucumbers in the green house, grow them threw the grape vine, along with sweet peppers.

I stil strugle with what to grow in my green house, its filling up with overflow from the shed again????? My outside toms always do better than the ones I do in green house, so not bothering this year. Aubergines do well, we discoverd we did not like aubergine! Melons last year were a disater . . . mind, most things were half a 'desaster' :( in the garden last year.

I must keep it simple this year??? Hazel is going to need a lot of my time after the operation???? I will probably retire a couple of months early, the op is 29th March, so from then on its nose to the grind stone, learn how the washing machine works . . . scorch a shirt or two, lots of f&c's from the chippy, only a 1 minuit walk from the back gate :lol: Vacume cleaner, whats that? Thank god for a dishwasher!

What am I like, typical pampered male, I love Hazel to bits I do :wink: . . . CJS
Last edited by CJS on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Regarding the household appliances, you sound very much like all us men. :)

CJS
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Regarding the household appliances, you sound very much like all us men. :)

Yes mat, I know how to pay for them, but being able to work them, that is another story. I'm very lucky, I've been pampered all my life by the females members of my family. Clean clothes just appear, wonderful mouth watering pastery, cakes, tea . . . it all just comes out of thin air . . . ?

CJS
jane E
KG Regular

I'm glad to hear you admit to being pampered!!
I could add a few more things - but I'll forbear.
CJS
KG Regular

jane E wrote:I'm glad to hear you admit to being pampered!!
I could add a few more things - but I'll forbear.

My feelings . . . have I said something wrong? If so, my humble apologies.

CJS
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning CJS, i'm sure jane E is just pulling your leg....... :)

CJS
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Morning CJS, i'm sure jane E is just pulling your leg....... :)

. . . . :( :( :(

CJS :oops:
CJS
KG Regular

Seems I have put my foot in it???? I cant see why, but there you go . . .

???? I'm off, you all have a good life. CJS
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic