Early spring bits & bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Well that's our association AGM out of the way for another year.
Only two awkward questions.
First from pur President about how to split the annual show & annual dinner in the accounts to prove which loses more money? Same hall catering by our ladies.
Second from a lady asking why we don't put full recipes for all domestic entries in the show schedule?
All done in the alloted hour.

My national allotment winning friend had spotted my recent forum contribution, which mentioned him, being quoted in the magazine. :)
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Peter, i'm not sure what the womans Question was meant to be asking, could you translate into Bedfordshire talk for me, thank you. :)

What does it feel like to now be 50 and allowed to start a Bits And Bobs? :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

How big is the cake and what's it supposed to taste like.

Pretty good, but I've a long way to go to catch up with you OH. :D :D

PS Burnt & crunchy isn't a cake flavour although it might be NFMB. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you for the translation, Peter. :)

I must have been having a senior moment. :)

Brother in laws, wife, had a baby girl last night, a few complictions, but all is well now. :)
Still no lambs though......

And, i wonder if Alan will visit today?

peter
KG Regular

Thirteenth straight win by Bishop's Stortford RFC this afternoon, one more equals the record held by the 1987 squad. Today was a strong opponent, London Irish Amateurs, next two will be against sides near the bottom of the league.
Here's hoping for a.New record. :D

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hope i don't feel a commentators curse, coming on here Peter. :)

donedigging
KG Regular

Dear OH,
Congratulations to your Brother in law and his wife on the birth of their daughter,
Glad to read they are all doing well :)
donedigging
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you for your kind words, Donedigging.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well what a beautiful morning out there this morning, off to Aylesbury this morning to pick up a lawnmower, don't really need it, it was just cheap. :)

Just off to feed the sheep.......

Westi
KG Regular

Beautiful down lottie today and my wonderful neighbour had built me a new compost bin as well as clearing all the blackberry that had invaded the old one. Topping up all the beds with the old compost which is truely scrummy as it is about 8 years old. Still fighting the couch grass but have won a small battle with it in the raspberries.

Didn't get as much done as hoped as catching up with everyone who came down to take advantage of the first weekend in three that the ground wasn't frozen. Bacon buttie with the robin and blackbird then home with lots of leeks, kale, celeraic & parsnips.

Only downside was my caulies are hearting up and they are too small and the wheelbarrow attacked me and I think I've sprained my elbow!

Westi
Westi
peter
KG Regular

GP compost.bought.
Tried digging, stuck to spade too much, so gave up at 6'x10'.
Cleaned greenhouse & dug bed therein.
Finished by lighting a sulphur candle, will see tomorrow if more than the paper wick actually burnt, though that was sulphurous enough for my throat. :? :D

Monika
KG Regular

Gorgeous day today. Limed the brassica bed (see another thread), spread a bit more compost, dug out the last swedes and nearly the last leeks, picked sprouts and kale for lunch.

If it is not too wet this week, I must get down to tidying the large wild patch in the garden at home (full of michaelmas daisies, field scabious, hemp agrimony etc, all aimed at attracting insects). We leave it all standing over winter for the birds and bugs, then cut it back in February and run the motor mower over it before the new foliage come up. It's always a big job, including putting all the 'debris' through the shredder before it goes in the compost heaps/bins.

Minus 4 last night and expected again tonight.
pongeroon
KG Regular

Cold here too.

Lovely day though, sunny and bracing. We had a productive day on the allotment. My Fine Young Man built a removeable cold frame inside the tunnel. The plan is to acclimatise the chilis, peppers and aubergines in there as early as feasible. We will not have space in the conservatory as it is always full of tomato seedlings. We will see how it goes...

I moved the raspberries from too near the apple tree to the sunny bit by the tunnel and had a general tidy up. And planted some unknown friut bushes where the raspberries were. I hope they turn out to be redcurrants or suchlike. I don't know what they are because my Fine Young Man aquired them thinking they were blackcurrants, but they don't look quite like the blackcurrants we already have. Perhaps they are sausage trees, yum. :lol:
Westi
KG Regular

My sprained elbow turns out to be tennis elbow - there are advantages to working with physios! Since I didn't do it playing tennis it is going to be Gardner's Elbow. There must be more gardeners in the country than tennis players so I think it is quite reasonable to re-classify the diagnosis!

Any other aliments to be re-classifed :?:

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, sorry to read of your Gardeners Elbow, hope it clears up real quick. I used to work with a bloke that often suffered with that, and he said it was very painful indeed.

Not quite on the same theme, but could brewers droop be, when your hops won't grow up your lines very well.

I hasten to add, i have never suffered from Gardeners Elbow or had trouble with my Hops, luckily. :wink: :)

Sorry if anyone thinks that is a little below the belt. :oops:

I think i'm making it worse...... :)

Locked Previous topicNext topic