Pruning Crab apple tree

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Tony T

Tony T.

Pruning crab apple
Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:54 pm

Hi all. Wasn'nt sure which forum to put this on. I pruned my 15 year old crab apple tree some time last year, but I can't remember when. It was obviously the wrong time because all I got was loads of fresh growth and no fruit! Can someone pease tell me the best time to prune for minimum growth, (its already a bit too big for the garden) and maximum fruit, (very pretty marble sized bright red fruit).
Thanks Tony.
fen not fen

I'm not an apple expert but i seem to recall from my gardening o-level that apples fruit on 3 or 4 year old wood, and it sounds as though you have removed the tree's stock of that. It will fruit again but it may be not be for a couple of years.
peterf
KG Regular

hi tony,winter prunning defo, but if its to severe the trees response to this is to regrow as much branch and leaf as possible to compensate for what it has lost.try and keep an open framework of branches to maximise airflow,and be patient it might start biennual fruiting for a year or two. peterf
Tony T

Thank you both for your replies
Tony
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic