A unique day

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

donedigging
KG Regular

The 11 day of the 11th month of the 11th year

Tomorrow try and look at your watches at the 11 hour, 11 minutes and 11 seconds.

Never to be repeated in our life time!
donedigging
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Donedigging, i will certainly be doing that.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

donedigging wrote:Never to be repeated in our life time!

Dear donedigging

I think that every minute of every day :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Nice thought Dundigging, only problem is none of my clocks and watches says the same time since I put the clocks back.
Marigold
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:
donedigging wrote:Never to be repeated in our life time!

Dear donedigging

I think that every minute of every day :wink:

Amen to that...( don't have a watch)
Geoff
KG Regular

Trouble is we don't remember.
We still let our politicians spend excessively on "defence" and send service people to be killed for nothing. What right have we in a post colonial world to demand regime change in other lands, it is a throw back to Christian colonisation and conversion when we thought we knew better than the savages. Similarly what is the justification for hanging on to South Atlantic colonies? Close all overseas bases and bring the personnel home. Think of the economic benefits, temporary construction jobs to refurbish the camps, permanent ancillary jobs to replace jobs in foreign lands. We'll need them as a Home Guard soon anyway as the under class the welfare state has bred seeks to destroy the last bits of infrastructure, structural and civil.
So let's really remember by saying it won't happen again.
Monika
KG Regular

Oh, how I agree, Geoff. I am always very cautious saying my bit, considering my forebears have caused a lot of trouble in Europe and I am fully sympathetic to those who wish to commemorate loved ones, but why continue to send young people into conflicts when there are other ways of resolving them? What a waste.

We must also bear in mind that nowadays, and quite different from World Wars 1 and 2, military personnel are signing up voluntarily.
Johnboy
KG Regular

As an ex-serviceman I remember not just my fallen comrades but my fallen enemies as well. They too were somebodies son or daughter whoever they were.
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Johnboy those are lovely sentiments, and shows just how futile war is. the whole economy needs sorting...our two biggest exports are arms and pharmacology....so we keep getting involved in wars to keep the economy afloat, and treating illness benefits the economy more than health promotion.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

I remember the 6th of June 1966. I was at school, Cheers, Tony.
macmac
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:As an ex-serviceman I remember not just my fallen comrades but my fallen enemies as well. They too were somebodies son or daughter whoever they were.
JB.

well said Johnboy x
sanity is overrated
Stephen
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:As an ex-serviceman I remember not just my fallen comrades but my fallen enemies as well. They too were somebodies son or daughter whoever they were.
JB.

How right you are JB.
It should always be emphasised that rememberance is about mourning all of those fallen. I would like the press to work on this.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Marigold
KG Regular

Eradicating racism would be awesome. Here in Ireland especially..
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Marigold, if i could have one wish in life, i think it would be to eradicate racism.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Marigold
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Dear Marigold, if i could have one wish in life, i think it would be to eradicate racism.

We can each do it in our own lives...We see so many children adopted in from overseas and in rural areas that is fine until they start school. So many in from Vietnam, where street children are rounded up by police and euthanised.

We trade at markets to fund work with babies overseas. When we were sending to Somalia, one UK man attacked us re how Somalians in London walk about like kings. It was said with such disgust.
Wonder how he thought they should act?
So I said over and over that it is the babies we strive to save,, " A baby is a baby is a baby.. " The man finally accepted that. Surely it all has to start with the children.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic