Frost?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

Apart from OH who reported it here, has anyone seen any frost yet?

I don't recall the last time we got through to the end of October without at least some grass frost, even here by the sea. According to the forecast we could have a touch on Friday morning.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Good morning Alan,

Three mornings last week I had to scrape the ice off the windscreen, It was only just below freezing though, and has been mild since then.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Clive.
KG Regular

Good morning,
We had a couple of mornings last week when it was a fairly cool start. I think it was Thursday when it was white on the lawns and on the freshly forked border soil.
Dahlias still ok but last year it was the week that they got blackened.

Clive.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Very mild here this morning, but rather breezy.

It's some decent rain that we need here now, i even watered my early winter cauliflowers yesterday, as they were starting to look rather limp.
They looked like different plants after a couple of hours.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Didn't see it myself, but we have had a couple in the frost-pocket out back.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Geoff
KG Regular

We had one ground/car frost last week but the Dahlias weren't touched; lower down than us they are black, the advantages of a windy hill. Quite mild since.
Johnboy
KG Regular

We had two frosts last week but manage a picking of Runner Beans yesterday enough for Sunday Roast and another feed during the week so the damage was very limited and there are still beans growing.
Also had a picking of Autumn Raspberries for todays meal (no cream yesterday!)
JB.
Monika
KG Regular

We had frost on two mornings last week, one of the them cold enough to kill all the dahlias, nasturtiums, runner beans and marrows.
jane E
KG Regular

Leics/Rutland border - 2 frosts last week - enough to blacken some dahliah leaves and tip the outside tomatoes and prompt me to dig up my dahliahs and pick all the green tomatoes.
Reading these posts makes me realize that, although Leics doesn't sound as cold as the Yorkshire moors, our position here is the highest land until the Urals and an east wind will bring very cold weather. I walk a tightrope between desiring more shelter from the elements in the garden and missing the views this could obscure.
alan refail
KG Regular

Well, it's pretty white out there this morning. But to get to 7 November for the first frost isn't bad going.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

How things change, it's meant to be in double figures all week for the night temperatures, here this week.

Last Thursday where i was working, the lady has a bed of strawberries interplanted with wild primroses for Spring colour.
Yes, you've guessed it, red strawberries on the plants and the primroses are flowering their little heads off.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

At 4am here this morning it was 27.8F and certainly very white outside.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

It was white over when I got up, not quite as early a bird as some of you a slothful 7:15. My new weather station atop a 16' pole said the minimum was 0.1C and old max/min at 5' on shed wall shows about 0. Much of it has gone already in the glorious sunshine with a beautiful clear view of the Lake District mountains. The Dahlias look a little sorry for themselves but as Alan says 7th November.
Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

Geoff

The other side of the Lake District mountains, here very close to the sea, had frost Sat and Sun night. Still very white at 0930 this morning except in the sun. -1C in the greenhouse last night and 19C now!

Regards

Ian
Marigold
KG Regular

Second morning of hard frost here; the New Zealand spinach was all crispy when I picked it. I walk the dogs before six am and it was bitter cold in the field..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic