Halloween & pumpkins

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Yesterday visited a favourite PYO farm to stock up on Winter Squashes where they also run pumpkin carving activities for children over Halloween. Here is just one area of their display in what the farmer said was a "very poor year" for winter squashes.
They have a team of students using an amazing drilling machine which rapidly gouges out all the pumpkin flesh so the queues of children can get on with the important activity of carving the pumpkin they have chosen. They get through hundreds of these squashes in the course of Halloween weekend.

I suspect the pigs on the farm are mightily sick of pumpkin flesh by the time it's all over ! I don't know what they do with all the pumpkin seeds though. They're supposed to be very tasty dried and roasted/toasted. . Does anybody do this with their winter squash seeds?
Attachments
Pumpkins.jpg
Pumpkins.jpg (150.61 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose
Re the seeds

Maybe, just maybe there is a connection here to the 'Suppliers Taking the P' thread

Is there the slightest possibility that the seeds are sold to seedsmen who sell them at gross prices for two seeds

Just a thought, :D

Reckon my grandson could make a right mess of himself there. I'm trying to figure out where it might be.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
peter
KG Regular

The toasted seeds need to come from a strain bred for fat seeds.
I tried it once, failure is the best description, with abject fighting for first place. :(
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

We chatted the farm owner and I asked him how he coped with cross pollination since he grows numerous varieties of winter squashes every year. He never saves his own seeds apparently and buys in fresh seeds from plantsmen every year. I suspect the seeds ends up in the pigs' stomachs along with the rest of the flesh.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic