Lidl Thursday 20th April

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

Next week seems to be all gardening stuff with a few veggie bits thrown in, such as fleece etc. Don't know about the quality, but it is cheap.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pages ... 0420.index
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Chantal you are a treasure. The garden composter looks great value, although I suppose it depends how big it is. Not sure what a Japanese hand saw is for?
GaGa
KG Regular

Nice One Chantal.

The japanese hand saw is usually regarded as a craftsman's tool, but these are a bit erm...Lidl-ish. I've examined a couple in our local Lidl. A Japanese saw cuts on the PULL stroke, and not on the PUSH stroke, which most "western" saws do. The blade is hence in tension when it is cutting, and so is more likely to travel in a straight line as you cut, and so cut a smoother cut. Also, the blade can be made thinner, as it has to stand less bending force, which leads to less weight, and less sticking, hence easier cutting. It's also MUCH easier to use, if you are cutting overhead, as you are pulling when the saw cuts....such as lopping off thicker branches maybe?

Not much use in the woodworking craftsmans workshop, but probably great in the garden. I didn't buy one, as I have several quality ones in my workshop, and a tree saw for the garden, but at 7 quid, they do seem good value.

I'm waiting for the fleece and the insect mesh.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Thanks for that Ga ga. I might try a Lidl one and see how it is. I can't get on with ordinary saws.
nog
KG Regular

Croydon Council are doing 330lt Compost bins for £6.
Tigger
KG Regular

As are Shropshire County Council and Bridgnorth District Council. Did they get a job lot?

As for Japanese saws, my OH says the same as GaGa - he's been using them in his workshop since the 70's, having imported them from the USA before they were available here. He's a big fan (as he is of Japanese chisels) but the Lidl one is only suitable for the garden. Having said that, I've got one and it's great.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic