Getting People Started (Re: Allotinabox Post)

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

adam-alexander
KG Regular

I've seen the post and responses Re; Allotinabox.

Now, here's a challenge - What would you experienced GYO folk recommend as a 'starter' of suitable seeds, and /or plants etc., for beginners who have a tiny plot, say 10ft x 10ft (3m x 3m) and space for about two or three medium (12") pots or a grow-bag.

Assume that the beginner has, or could borrow some tools to prepare the plot.

Budget at about £20.

No prizes I'm afraid, but your ideas may well get some new gardeners bitten by the GYO bug.

a-a
Primrose
KG Regular

Well, that's quite a challenge as peoples' tastes will vary. But assuming the individual has never grown anything before I'd start with some things that are fairly easy. Salad lovers could try Rocket which germinates easily and is fairly hardy, plus fast growing radishes (better grown in Growbags to keep away the slugs, some hardy Frissee endive for some green salad leaves. Tumbling tomatoes in pots would be nice for any tomato lover, especially as they tend to ripen more quickly than the cordon varieties. For winter greens I'd grow a few Cavalo Nero kale plants or some Swiss Chard as you can pick a few leaves at a time for use in stir fries or soups and still get the feeling that you're eating a small amount of stuff that you've grown yourself.
adam-alexander
KG Regular

Hi Primrose, thanks for getting the ball rolling, so to speak. I think I should put some of my own suggestion down too. I agree with you about the rocket, salad leaves, tumbling tomatoes and the swiss chard (or perhaps perpetual spinach) - I would add a courgette, shallots, chives, perhaps a rhubarb plant, certainly French beans, either dwarf or a wigwam of climbing FB, the purple podded are novel and have a great taste. I would be tempted to try a few first early potatoes in the pots or the growbag.

Let's see what other members add to the suggestion list.

Oh, and I would encourage the newcomer to invest a little of the initial £20 on a good veg gardening book - lots usually available from charity shops or on ebay.
Primrose
KG Regular

Actually, I'd borrow a good veg gardening book from the local library which will save money, and I'd spend some of the £20 on some bagged composted manure to dig in and get the soil in good condition, if natural well rotted manure can't be obtained.

Most people new to veg growing don't understand that the quality of your soil can make a big difference to the quality of your crops and there is nothing more disheartening for new vegetable growers to fail at the first attempt because they haven't got some of the fundamentals right. Also, they need to understand that the veg plot is located in a good sunny position. Sometimes a miserable little plot in permanent shade is allotted to growing vegetables which means they never get off to a good start.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Adam, I would encourage the new gardener to think of the plots vertical potential not just the flat space, and would suggest a multiple pack of popular herbs to grow in stacked pots. Runner beans, climbing french beans, or tall peas, according to preference, as these give really good value and keep cropping if picked regularly. Mixed salad leaves, these can be spicy, crunchy, or tender to suit preference. Radish and bush tomatoes are easy and quick to crop, marketmore outdooor cucumber to train / tie up a few canes. Chard a wide ribbed type, which gives a salad ingredient as baby leaf, spinach type greens when mature, and the ribs can be used separately sliced in stews and stir fries. Some spring greens, for really tasty greens, during the lean period. Don't be too proud to take a look in the childrens seed varieties of veg, they are usually easy to grow varieties, and cheaper too, which would suit newbie growers. :)
Later if you like gardening and asparagus, and money is still tight, plant a row of asparagus seed, you have to wait three years but it is quite easy to grow and after that it will crop for twelve years of more,and all for about £1.99, and I'd buy one cane fruit of choice, thornless blackberry tayberry or loganberry, the cane tips root in soil to make more plants so easily, and will soon give you a fence laden with fruit, the cane grows first year then fruits the next
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic