Sweet and more'ish . . .

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

CJS
KG Regular

Well, taking the advise of the forum, sowed a few Pak Choi seeds and some Chinese Radish . . . germinate . . . I turned round and they were up! phew. No idea what to do with Chinese radish, any suggestions?

The runner bean saga has finally finished, after three goes, we at last, have a super healthy stand, when did that hapen! :? Two varieties, Kelvedon Stringless and Moonlight, Kelvedon strinless is very heavy on cropping, but I'm not so sure about its curly habit or flavour? Moonlight is a runner/french cross (I think?) growes a long straight bean pod. It has a flavour which IMHO is superbly sweet and more'ish :) to the point of; I will be trying it lightly steamed and eaten on its own with a knob of butter . . . :wink:

CJS
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning CJS, i'm also growing Moonlight and i'm very impessed with it as well.

Glad things are getting going for you. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
CJS
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Morning CJS, i'm also growing Moonlight and i'm very impessed with it as well.

Glad things are getting going for you. :)

Yes 'OH' . . . Tonight I'm going to try a direct comparison between the two beans on their own. I also found the texture of Moonlight much better than Cobra, the french bean I grew last year which had a hint of leathieness and nowhere near as good a flavour? Moonlights texture is much closer to a runner bean IMHO.

The original idea was to find a bean that did not need stringing, a task Hazel really does not like . . . :? One gets the feeling Moonlight will be my standard in future? Going to try letting a few beans grow bigger, (which the blurb says they can do) see if they still retain the good points, this will offset the reduction in crop yield compared with Kelvedon Stringless?

Its been a steep learning curve this year, with some dont bother agains, and some need to do better . . . put in a little more effort! My available growing space is limited . . . I'm learning :lol:

I must dig that extra 3mx1m bed . . . I had lined up a friend to do it for me . . . unfortunately he has had a stroke in the past few days :( . . . looks like the boots on the other foot, I will be helping and encouraging him :) he was so fit and is 7 years younger than me . . .

A row a day will get there in the end . . .

Been picking the plumbs this weekend, best year ever, nearly fell of the ladder! dont like heights . . . and 3 weeks early! Out in the hedgerows soon, picking blackberries, 'plumb and blackberry' makes a superb pie and crumble filling!

CJS
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I planted Wisley Magic runners early, they are colourful, setting well productive, and tasty. I also planted moonlight later, after a slow start they are now at the top of the poles and flowering well at the moment so I am looking forward to a tasty crop soon. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Diane
KG Regular

I love the Moonlight beans - but don't let them get too big as they do get a bit tough. You'll only end up throwing them away. Stick to picking them young.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Moonlight don't say F1, does anyone know if saved seed will grow true to the original?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon CJS, between you and me, i have been gardening for years now, but i still get things wrong, but don't tell the others. :wink: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
CJS
KG Regular

Looks like Moonlight is a 'thumbs up' then :lol:

CJS
CJS
KG Regular

Well I've done the taste test . . . Moonlight has it, on flavour and texture, against Kelvedon stringless. Kelvedon needs picking very early, I could detect the start of string in the bigger beans and it just did not have the depth of flavour compared with Moonlight.

The straighter bean makes Moonlight easier to handle in preparation as well, and when on the plate it looks like a runner bean.

Moonlight is my winner . . .

CJS
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi CJS, i just realised no one answered your request for radish recipes.... you can use in salads, slice or grate and toss in salad dressing , or sliced in stir fries. use in place of any turnip recipes. You can even use the tops in soup -

Radish Top Soup
Don't throw out your radish greens. Believe it or not, those fuzzy leaves can be transformed into a smooth green soup, with a hint of watercress flavor.
4 Tbs butter
1 cup chopped onions or leeks
8 cups loosely packed radish leaves
2 cups diced peeled potatoes
6 cups liquid (water, veg or chicken stock)
Salt
1/2 cup cream (optional)
Freshly ground pepper
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan, add onions or leeks, and cook until golden, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in radish tops, cover pan, and cook over low heat until wilted, 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook potatoes until soft in liquid along with 1 teaspoon salt. Combine with radish tops and broth, and cook, covered, for 5 minutes to mingle flavors. Puree finely in a food processor. Add cream if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
By Thomas Huxley
CJS
KG Regular

Thanks for the cooking hints on Chinese Radish, Nature's Babe, Hazel will have a go at the soup. Its amazing how fast they are growing, might be good soil? They are in part of the old runner bean bead, which I always trenched, putting in manure, half roted compost and news paper? From the pictures on the net, it seems, they do not need peeling . . . or just a light peel with a potato peeler? But getting any meaningful recipes for them off the net is hard work, perhaps should be 'guess work' . . . perhaps its me, I'm not good at research?

CJS
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic