Our Plots and Plants ? Inheritance and legacy?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

1. What did we inherit from previous generations ?
2. What have we learned ?
3. As caretakers of the land what have we achieved ?
5. What do we hope to bequeath to the future generations of gardeners ?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Well most of us are blessed with what we inherited, but this was the film that prompted my thoughts in posing this particular question, how would we have coped if we inherited desert? The film shows what can be achieved -
from a dead landscape. we get problems, but not as severe as this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ylZ9fDmAE
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
Chris
KG Regular

Hi

Given that this is one of the most interesting of the recent postings I will have a stab at a reply - difficult as it is. From a personal point of view:

1. Previous generations taught me that gardening can be an integral part of life that provides an important dimension keeping us in touch with life cycles, seasons and the weather. Plus 8000 years of experience!

2.I have learned that gardening is a hobby to be enjoyed without the pressures to achieve maximum yields and efficiencies - which includes a tolerance of imperfection and the inevitable failures. The other important bit is to try something new each year.

3. Following on we have realised that our gardens do not have to mimic large scale agricultural production and that we can be pragmatic gardeners making minimum use of chemical aids i.e. intelligently organic without being dogmatic.

4. To value what has been inherited and approach gardening with an open mind making use of the new technologies that appear in a careful and thoughtful way.

Hope other will have a go at this!

Chris
Chris
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Thank you for an interesting and thoughtful answer Chris, I imagine there could be lots of different thoughts on this as each garden or plot and gardener is unique.
By Thomas Huxley
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Well I guess I should also answer the questions I posed, so here goes -

1.Well I inherited quite a large completely overgrown garden that had not been tended for about twenty years when we moved into this house, it was a mass of tangled bramble and nettle and overgrown shrubs. The pergola was rotten, the shed was too, the pond was a solid mass of roots no water left, and after clearing the jungle we found an old well in the garden
2. What have I learned ? I learned it was not just my garden but it was home to a lot of wildlife too, newts played deep in the well, slow worms and other amphibians abounded, lots of birds and insects too, I respect the fact it's their home and try not to disturb or harm them, I garden around the wildlife. In the first year I learned how resilient nature is, it was a hot summer the sparse topsoil of clay baked hard and I learned how worms survive drought, they excavate a small chamber and literally get knotted into a ball to conserve moisture and hibernate till rain comes. I learned that if I wanted any decent soil i had to incorporate a huge amount of compost etc I kept the wild plants, teasles, the foxgloves and the mallow poppies etc for the wildlife. I learned to tame the lovely old grapevine we inherited, and get an early and a later outside crop from it
3. What have we achieved, a fertile and productive soil that produces good crops of vegetables fruit and herbs, and has enough humus in it to retain moisture, so the poor worms don't suffer like they did and are growing in number, also an increase in pollinators and wildlife. I learned to do less and to work with nature, I don't dig now I just mulch and let the worms do the tilling, I cut plants at root level and let them rot in the soil to feed the organisms in the soil and open channels to deeper levels The garden works vertically as well as horizontally as I have planted fruit trees, canes, bushes and vines too
4. What do we hope to bequeath to the future generations of gardeners ?
Ah well God willing if some land comes up for sale near us I would like to grow a forest food garden, with nuts fruit, bushes vines and other edibles that should provide sustainably for generations. When someone else inherits the garden they will find it well stocked with perennial veg and fruit. They will find deeper soil that is more fertile than it was and they will hopefully enjoy all the little creatures that live here too. :D
By Thomas Huxley
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic