Mid Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

Tomorrow 07:00 40% chance of rain! Fingers crossed.
But before and after that hour long window, 10%.
Obviously these are indications and if the rain arrives a little early or a little late I will not complain. Nor will the forecasters be wrong if it doesn't rain here at all. It may fall on Hemel or Chesham (who will be grateful)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

Meanwhile look at how stressed the trees are.
Attachments
PXL_20220815_103247169.jpg
PXL_20220815_103247169.jpg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 862 times
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes autumn seems to be arriving early in this part of the world.
Does anybody know roughly how much dail liquid the average tree needs to stay alive and healthy?

There is an enormous blue cedar tree in a garden very near to us and Ican,t help wondering if its water needs are draining water from our own already totally parched garden
Last edited by Primrose on Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

I was very excited with all the talk of thunder & lightning & rain. In one of our 'take a break chats' over the fence we all decided to check our phone weather for tomorrow & Wednesday as obviously of deep interest after the dry spell! Only 3 of us so not scientific but no weather was the same. Mine said a risk of a light shower tomorrow, one had tomorrow as full on thunder & lightening & the other sunny with just a gentle breeze . My % chance or thundery showers has dropped to under 30%, one is showing a yellow warning & the other's was 55%!

No wonder we are always caught out or disappointed when Apple weather, Samsung & BBC have conflicting information! I learnt never trust it though so water as planned unless I'm actually getting wet!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

I mainly go by the radar prediction on the Met Office but it does change quite rapidly especially with this sort of showery pattern.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Still not a drop here….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Walked my dogs yesterday evening and had rain like someone was flying around at 10,000 feet with a garden hose.
Near 11pm we had a shower that just about laid the dust on the road.
AccuWeather radar showed lots of dark green to my south and east, with a bit to the north, but b***** all more for us. :cry:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Good news & bad news. Good news it rained last night. Bad news, you would have missed it if you had blinked.
retropants
KG Regular

there was a sprinkling here at about 8.30pm. Not enough to do anything.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

We've had some thunder, no lightening and a bit of rain, enough that I don't need to water anything and I swear the grass has started growing again.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
robo
KG Regular

I put on a different thread yesterday “ it started raining “ five minutes later it stopped not restarted yet despite the forecast of thunder and lightning
Westi
KG Regular

Well none of the phones were right! I was down bright & early & did some watering. It went from sunny to cloudy after that but very light cloud so kept mooching around & it just started raining - straight down & heavy for about 30mins then gone, but then back after about 15mins. This became the pattern all day until late evening so not too many jobs finished but quite a lot started. Great opportunity to sort the tunnel though!

I was pretty drenched getting home as takes longer than the 15min gaps. I pulled a Chinese cabbage just before leaving after about 4 hours of this & the rain & my water had only penetrated about 2" max. There is a chance of the full Monty tomorrow afternoon with the thunder & lightening & the risk is up to 75% so if it happens that might help a bit more. One thing we know it will help is the weeds!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We had about 10 mins of light rain, but it had all dried up in the same amount of time….maybe tonight.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

A few spots of rain at work location at home time yesterday but two miles up the road driving home the roads were totally awash..then arrived home to only a light dampening of the ground.

Today there was a marked drop off in temp at home time with light rain starting, but it didn't last for many minutes....

C.
Stephen
KG Regular

I claim credit for the rain here. I collected the car from its rented garage so that I could wash it at home. Washed it and was halfway through polishing it when..
Attachments
PXL_20220816_113245815.jpg
PXL_20220816_113245815.jpg (3.1 MiB) Viewed 793 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic